Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPres2
Novice

Need driver for 40GB SSD for install of Win XP Home. XP doesn't see the SSD.

Jump to solution

I'm not entirely sure which exact model this drive is. The device manager says, "Intel SS DSA2CT040G3 SCSI Disk Device."

Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
GPres2
Novice

I got a link to a driver from Intel's online chat support that I hope will work. I'm posting it here in case anyone in the future needs it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/16032/S5000-Based-Server-AHCI-SATA-Storage-Driver-for-Wind... Download S5000 Based Server AHCI SATA Storage Driver for Windows*

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GPres2
Novice

I got a link to a driver from Intel's online chat support that I hope will work. I'm posting it here in case anyone in the future needs it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/16032/S5000-Based-Server-AHCI-SATA-Storage-Driver-for-Wind... Download S5000 Based Server AHCI SATA Storage Driver for Windows*

View solution in original post

AlHill
Super User

XP is not supported. Time to upgrade to Windows 7 or WIndows 10.

Doc

GPres2
Novice

This is a really old SSD. It must have been supported in some fashion when it was first released because the computer I'm fixing up has XP installed on it so someone found a way to get the XP installer to see the SSD.

AlHill
Super User

I am glad it is working for you. However, moving forward, XP has no support. It would well worth your while to save what data you have, and be prepared for moving to W7 or W10.

Doc

GPres2
Novice

Actually I don't know if it will work yet or not. This isn't for my computer, it's for an older gentleman who doesn't want to buy a new or refurb computer just to check email. Unfortunately his XP has serious problems that can't be fixed properly without a reinstall. The documentation with this driver says it works with XP (All but Starter Edition) so it should work. I would recommend updating his version of Windows but I'm not sure if his computer could run it properly as it's around 15 years old.

AlHill
Super User

Get him to check his mail on his phone. That hardware, as old as it is, is well beyond its life expectancy. Security-wise, running XP is a risk.

I could go down the list if issues, problems, and pitfalls, but you likely know them as well as I.

If he does not have a phone, get him to tell his grandkids what he wants for the upcoming holidays.

Doc

GPres2
Novice

Like most older people they like what they like and they hate change. He wants his XP back and that's that. He's the customer, I'm just the hired help. I've given him all the relevant data. It's ultimately his decision as to whether he acts on it or not. *shrug*