cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 510 250GB SSD... Updates?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

just picked up the intel 510 SSD (250GB) looking to see what i need to do to get running

is there any new firmware out for it, etc that wouldn't come on the drive?

this is my first Intel SSD.. last one I had was OCZ and their forum had a list of tweaks/ options for windows to mess with to speed things up a bit... does the Intel community have the same offering?

Any input on defect rates? Its the only reason why I'm switching brands (too many dieing ssd from ocz)

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I disabled the Marvell controller and now it doesn't show anything on bootup.

The file I have in C:\Windows\system32\drivers is iaStorV.sys version 8.6.2.1014 - Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver, original file name iastor.sys.

On the ASUS DVD in the raid drivers folder is: iaStor.sys version 10.1.0.1008 I guess the shop that installed Windows for me didn't add it.

I just downloaded the file: irst_10501026_XPVistaWin7.zip from ASUS. If I install it, I assume it will replace the current driver. I also see there is a 10.6 version on the Intel download page. Would it install correctly, or should I stick with the ASUS installer?

I researched the Intel Raid/ICP Storport driver, file name iirsp.sys, and it seems it comes from Microsoft. Maybe your Windows didn't add it. It's only 43K, but I could see if it's necessary.

Thanks

Tim

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You're very likely correct that the shop installed the older version of the Intel RAID driver. The Intel RAID/AHCI drivers almost always work when downloaded from their web site, but it's safest to use the one from your mother board manufacture. You should use the one you downloaded from ASUS, that is very recent and will replace the one you have now. The driver file name will be the same, but if you check the version it will be the one you downloaded.

Microsoft does supply a RAID driver in Windows 7 which I've never used or even seen frankly, the Storport must be it. I've never seen it discussed, since MS also supplies their msahci AHCI driver. No need to do anything with it, it will be replaced or just be hanging around if it is ever needed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I put in the Raid driver I downloaded from ASUS and all seems OK now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tim

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You're welcome, but I don't know if I really helped you very much. You really didn't have any big problem to start with.

If you check the ASUS forum for you board, or most any other mother board forum that uses the Marvell chipsets, you'll likely see complaints about it. It seems that the Marvell driver (on your boards download page) is not very good, some users have all kinds of problems with that interface. There are a few new drivers for these chips, but many times they aren't included on the boards download page. You can use the Windows 7 msahci driver with it, and it seems to work better. The Intel RAID driver will not work with the Marvell chip. You can of course experiment with it, but I wouldn't put your OS drive on it unless you feel it works Ok. It will never be faster or equal to the Intel 6Gb/s SATA ports. Good luck with your SSD and board!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec wrote:

The Intel RAID/AHCI driver for our boards and others is called Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), and the latest version of that is on the download pages, Version 10.5.0.1026. That is the best driver for SSD performance, whether used in RAID or AHCI mode, either mode is fine.

parsec I have the DH67GD board and Intel 510 120Gb SSD, and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (device mgr) I show multiple ATA Channel 0-x, each of which is a MS driver, and one entry of "Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02" version Intel 9/10/2010 9.2.0.1011.

Are you saying that despite that my PC has only the SSD and a BD-ROM drive, no RAID needed or planned, that I should install the IRST drivers? If yes, is it obvious when installing that driver just how to select AHCI mode and not RAID?

Thanks in advance for your reply.