cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SSD toolbox released

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel has released a new rev of it's SSD toolbox / trim optimizer, ver 1.3. Here's the link to the options page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

Enjoy.

Tex.

23 REPLIES 23

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Still no Raid5 support.

When is Intel going to support Raid5?

Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't run in RAID, so this isn't an issue for me, but I've seen a few details on this issue. My understanding of the RAID issue is that the RAID controller must explicity support TRIM in order for the OS/Toolbox to be able to trim the drives. I expect this means that controllers designed before a certain point will never support TRIM.

Consider this: let's have a RAID 0 config with two drivers. Either the OS or the toolbox wants to tell the drive that LBA 1000 has been deleted. Normally it will send a command to the drive indicating that LBA 1000 is deleted. But, in the RAID example, where is LBA 1000? Drive 1 or drive 2? Only the RAID controller would know. Consequently, the RAID controller would have to have logic to support the TRIM command, logic that would determine which of the two drives to pass the command to and which LBA to specifiy, because it can't be LBA 1000 anymore.

If this isn't an accurate description of the problem, maybe someone else can set me straight.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ZXTT95,

I am not an expert either, and what you say makes sense to me.

However, my raid driver is made by Intel. it's the Matrix Storage Manager. They made my drives and they made my drivers, you cannot get any more Intel than that.

So, it is beyond me why their own driver does not support trim?

At least they could publish a roadmap to let us know what the plan or general direction is.

At any rate, thank you for your thoughts.

Mike

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just installed a new drive and downloaded the msi file, but every time I try to run it, I get a message that says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Any ideas?