cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SSD toolbox released

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel has released a new rev of it's SSD toolbox / trim optimizer, ver 1.3. Here's the link to the options page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

Enjoy.

Tex.

23 REPLIES 23

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"To tell if Trim is working.." with what? The windows driver or the intel or both?

I just loaded the utlility on my ASUS box with a 160 gig drive that has not ever had the trim util ran and it only took a split second for me as well. I ran the command you posted and it did return 0. My assumption is that it is using the built in windows driver as i do not see an intel ICH storage controller listed in the device manager -- but do see an AHCI driver under the IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers section. I guess this is because i did not install ISM or the new Intel drivers separately... and windows 7 is handling the trim already?

If you test returned ( O ) than windows TRIM is on and working. But I would still install the Intel Tool Box , With the tool box you can set up a schedule to Run tune up once a week or run it manuely , it will also give you Info on your NON-SSD Drives . So I would recomend using the Tool Box.

As Far as the AHCI , If it's not on now you can enable it and it will give a great performance with your SSD , But there is a certian way to do this You CAN NOT just go in your BIOS and turn it on , you will get a blue screen, ReFF. to Microsoft article # 922976 as how to change it with a Operating SYS already installed , but it does involved some registry editing, So if you do this read it carefuly and do step by step. Than you can enable AHCI and get about a 20% gain in the performance of your SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If the test return (0) doesn't mean TRIM is on and working at all.... it actually means that WINDOW 7 send the command "trim your device" to the controller... but if u have a RAID CONTROLLER that controller doesn't understand it and dont actually do it abviously

it's like

WIN7: please controller trim the unit

CONTROLLER: what?

WIN7: damn you i said TRIM it

CONTROLLER: TRIM? what are you talking about... trim yourself you....X%# $%^#

WIN7: TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM

CONTROLLER: you TRIM yourself, son of a TRIM

so if the controller is not the right one, ACHI or IDE with the window driver or RTS driver (matrix doenst know the command either), WIN7 on (0) will send the command to the controller but the controller will not do anything as he doesnt know what it means

So to actually make AUTOMATIC TRIM WORK you have to have

a) SSD hooked up with controller ACHI or IDE (better ACHI but both work)

b) driver for the controller Microsoft windows7 or intel-RTS (better RTS but both work)

c) win7 TRIM comman on (0)

if those 3 things happen on your pc, compliment you have automatic TRIM if you miss even only one of these thing you dont have TRIM on

I have 2x80gb not in raid with ACHI controller and RTS drive and i never need to trim them they are (after 4 mounth) as performant as day one and i test them every 2 week.

I don't recall anyone In this conversation mentioning RAID at all , everyone knows TRIM will not work in RAID because it can not tell which drive is which ,In RAID it looks at both drives as one???