cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, some questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

getting my Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD in 2 days. I have windows 7 currently installed on a normal HD and I was wondering if I can use a partition copy program like Acronis to copy it over to the new SSD without any issues?

Also browsing though here it looks like Windows 7 does not do a lot of the things its supposed to do when an SSD is used as the system drive (disable prefetch, trim etc). Is this really the case?

Anything else I should know or configure? I have a core 2 due with a Intel 975X/Intel ICH7R motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe  

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Like I said, Win7 doesn't disable defrag altogether, but it clearly blacklists/ignores the SSD. Go to defrag and click "configure schedule. Is your SSD listed? Mine isn't listed, because Win7 recognizes it as an SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If Windows 7 recognized your SSD, do you have Superfetch and prefetch disabled?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I know that Superfetch/Prefetching is not supposed to be performed from an SSD, but has anything been written by MS that says the services will be disabled? It isn't the same thing.

On my system, which was installed on a mechanical hard drive, and imaged to the SSD, I have observed the following:

Auto defrag is disabled for the SSD. My mechanical drives may be selected.

According to the eventlog, boot defrag completes successfully on the SSD. However, I don't know if it actually moves files or simply notes that nothing needs to be done and reports success to the log. Even if it does move the files, the relatively small boot optimization defrag won't affect the life of the drive in a meaningful way.

The boot prefetch log (ntos-boodfaad.pf or something like that) has not been updated since the day I installed the SSD.

My impression is that Superfetching is not occurring as much as usual or at all, but with Win7 I don't think it's as easy to tell as with Vista because Win7 is supposed to wait 1-2 mins after booting completes before it starts Superfetching. Since I have mechanical drives, I would expect some Superfetching, although most data that would normally be fetched is on the SSD. I'll have watch the system more closely sometime to see what's going on.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ZXTT95:

MS on SSDs in Win7:

"This post looks at the way we have tuned Windows 7 to the current generation of SSDs"

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"Also browsing though here it looks like Windows 7 does not do a lot of the things its supposed to do when an SSD is used as the system drive (disable prefetch, trim etc). Is this really the case?"

Yes, and I believe this is a Windows 7 issue, happens with other brands of SSD as well.