cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, some questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

getting my Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD in 2 days. I have windows 7 currently installed on a normal HD and I was wondering if I can use a partition copy program like Acronis to copy it over to the new SSD without any issues?

Also browsing though here it looks like Windows 7 does not do a lot of the things its supposed to do when an SSD is used as the system drive (disable prefetch, trim etc). Is this really the case?

Anything else I should know or configure? I have a core 2 due with a Intel 975X/Intel ICH7R motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe  

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Superfetch service is set to automatic, but it doesn't start. Not sure why... I may have disabled it with SSD Tweaker... i was playing around with that when I first installed. So I don't know to be honest.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

my two cent. I can still perform defrag on my SSD so it definatly not an SSD for Windows 7.

I would disable superfetch if I where you, the benefit is marginal even if you have some apps on non ssd disks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Win7 isn't supposed to prevent you from being able to manually defrag your SSD, but it will not schedule the defrag to happen. Did you try to schedule a defrag as I explained in the above post? If your SSD does not show when you try to create a schedule, then rest assured Win7 is seeing your drive as an SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Gordo, you are right

sorry.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

One of the more important things you need to do first is align the partition. Then if you use Acronis there is a method to retaining that partition alignment. If you just clone the drive over to your SSD it will revert back to the partition alignment of a rotating drive. You don't want that so do some research on how to align your SSD first. There are some articles on the net also about how to restore from Acronis without screwing up the alignment you jsut did.