cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly installed SSD 310 not recognised

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I have just purchased a new SSD 310 80 gb drive, to speed up boot and programme access times on my Shuttle SX38P2 Pro. Disc would appear to be correctly fitted, I have downloaded the firmware iso, burnt it, booted to it, but the new SSD is not recognised

Where to start? !

Thanks

Jeremy Poynton

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ahhhh.... did not realize it was the 310. He is correct that these drives are mSATA. This is a relatively new standard that allows a miniPCIe to connect to the storage controller. Currently, it is not that well marketed but many newer Lenovo and Dell (among others) systems support it. The place of purchase incorrectly has it listed as miniPCIe.

There are miniPCIe SATA drives but they all tend to be smaller in size and provide very poor performance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, so it would seem. Looks like an Intel Turbo Memory card is what that slot supports. Not exactly what I was after, but half way there, and quite a lot cheaper

Cheers

Jeremy

why not use a standard sata ssd?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi - this os for a desktop, and there is no suitable slot for it, and all my Sata conenctions are in use - I was looking to make use of the mini-PCIe slot, so it looks as though the Turbo Memory is the way to go. All I have to do now is determine whether this is supported in AHCI mode - which I am now running succesfully, having moved from IDE by fixin the registry entry msahci, but it is not clear whether i need to be running Raid or not. Have sent a support request to Intel regarding this.

Thanks to all who have ... chipped ... in on this