cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No USB to SATA cable for Intel 330 SSD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I bought an Intel 330 180GB SSD for my brand new Lenovo IdeaPad Y480 laptop. I noticed that there is no USB to SATA cable included in the box, which I believe I need to migrate the data from the stock HDD to the new SSD. However, a USB to SATA cable is pictured in the Quick Start Guide for notebook installation. Why is a key component for notebook installation not included? Where can I get a USB to SATA cable? I couldn't find any online. Is there any way to do data migration without the cable? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK. Got myself a Vantek enclosure. Had to settle with model NST-260SU since the one listed on the Intel link provided by oken was unavailable (model MRK-250ST). I give it a go. I actually get to the point where the migration software installation completes successfully for the first time since my Intel SSD was not recognized when using my other USB enclosure and so the software just wouldn't install.

I start up the migration software and it does everything it needs to do to get ready for cloning my HDD to my SSD, and I am prompted to reboot my laptop for the cloning process to continue. I do so and get to the point where my HDD partitions get analysed, and then... I get "Error: drive not found"!

Now what???

Thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK!

Got everything to work!

I was able to clone my original HDD by reversing the two USB connectors of the enclosure.

Since I have a dual boot system (Windows 7 and Kubuntu 11.10), I was unable to boot from the SSD immediately after the cloning. Used a little piece of wonderful software called Boot_Repair on a bootable CD to get the GRUB Launcher reinstalled as it was before the drive cloning. I can now boot in either Windows 7 or Kubuntu. Applied the Intel "Speed Demon" sticker on my laptop.

Have a great day!

Avdw
New Contributor

I think it is outrageous that no proper cable is included for migration on a laptop.

1) The box says "for desktop and mobile systems".

2) The INSTRUCTION MANUAL show the picture of a USB-to-SATA cable.

It has been 2 years since the first post on this thread and INTEL still sells boxes without the proper cable and no warning on the box or in the description for any on line store I could find.

The promotional material makes it seems like you have everything you need to migrate in the box. This is misleading. Quite frankly I don't care paying 5$ more if it saves quite a few hours.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello avdw,

We would like to inform you that our documentation has been updated. Intel no longer provides a USB-to-SATA cable in the box.

Please check your private messages.

SHolm4
New Contributor

Would someone from Intel PLEASE provide a link to some generic cables?

OR, someone NOT from Intel?

Indeed, this is ludicrous.

Although Intel does not endorse a product does not mean that it won't work just fine.

I bought mine to install in my laptop to replace the original HDD.

I have no interest in purchasing/using a separate enclosure.

The picture/graphic on the box shows a cable.

Please provide a p/n.