cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not real impressed... did I do this right?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I got it in my computer and Windows 7 installed but I thought it would be faster.

I turned on AHCI, began installing Windows. It seemed to actually take a little longer than a mechanical HD. Some parts seemed to go faster.

Once Windows was installed I made sure Defrag was off and disabled Superfetch.

That is pretty much it right? I will install the Toolbox in the morning but will that make that big a difference?

A couple of questions:

Do I need the Toolbox

Do I need the RST driver/software installed? I am not doing raid it is just the one SSD with Windows on it.

I noticed Windows setup a paging file on it, does it need it? Would it help to move it to my second mechanical drive?

Are there any other drivers I need to install? I have a Gigabyte motherboard, P45 chipset and the ich10 controller I believe.

I will know tomorrow when I get my programs back on there and really see how it performs but I was expecting faster than this.

I think it is a little faster. Here is AS SSD.

Thanks,

Will

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The only advice I can give is to intall the Intel SSD Toolbox and run both the Intel SSD Optimizer command and the System Configuration Tuner. Also make sure you install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. Once you have done this you should be getting as good a performance as you can from the SSD. One final point is make sure you use the mobo's 'normal' SATA connectors for the SSD. My Gigabyte board has two purple SATA ports which don't give as good a performance as the yellow coloured ports on my mobo.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have run the System Configuration tool.

The Optimizer and RST are 2 of my questions because there seems to be a big debate wether they are needed are not. Isn't RST only needed if you are doing Raid?

It is plugged into the yellow.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Install both.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Add another in raid 0 and you'll be quite happy

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You really have not explained what it is that is not faster. Your AS SSD scores are fine, the Seq Read and Write numbers are slightly above spec.

I have several SSDs and they all load programs very quickly, the OS boots and shuts down faster, searches are very quick, anything that uses storage like this is improved. When I see other peoples PCs now without SSDs they just seem to crawl along, waiting for whatever to start or load. If you are expecting better CPU or memory performance, that of course won't happen, once a program loads and is running, the SSD or HDD is not doing to much unless the app is constantly reading or writing. Please explain.