Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Optane 900P -AIC- as HDD cache module?

MAnth4
Beginner

I have 16TB SATA III HDD I use as “archive” volume of files I rarely access and when I do majority of time HDD speed is good enough. However, sometimes I need to do work that needs much better speed. So far my solution has been to move files I need to work on at that moment to “fast storage”, do work, and once done move them back. That is a pain in the back to keep repeating whenever I think I am done with a work on some set of files and then find few days later there is more to do.

So I started looking at “caching” solutions and came across these threads:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XXvSAM/a-few-questions-about-the-u2-900p?language=en_US

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490UzmSAE/using-optane-900p-as-both-cache-and-drive?language=en_US

that say U.2 900P can be used as “Optane cache” even though it is not officially supported.

I have following questions I need help with, please:

1) Can I use -AIC- version of 900P in same manner and in PCIe slot whose lanes are connected directly to CPU, not PCH?

2) Screenshots that have been posted imply full size of 900P ends up used for cache. Was anyone able to validate that is correct by testing it with file set that wouldn’t be completely cached if only part of a drive is actually used? I am asking because I’m interested in 480 GB model and I need all of that as cache. I can justify spending money if all that will serve as cache, otherwise whole thing would become pointless.

3) Next thing I wonder about is will it work in my multi-boot setup. Is one able to have multi-boot of Windows primaries while secondary (data) keeps being correctly cached?

4) I need to make sure my decision is future proof, that 900P won’t become unusable as cache once Microsoft rolls out next version of Windows or if Intel suddenly abandons future development of tools needed to support this setup. Do you feel risk of that is high or you feel Intel’s recent EOL of their tools, seemingly moving functionality to new Microsoft Store app, is not a sign of abandoning but of futureproofing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MAnth4,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

Please take into consideration that the usage of an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series as cache device is not a tested or validated configuration for this drive and may cause unpredictable results since the hardware intended for this purpose is the Intel® Optane™ memory with the Optane software or RST software. It is expected that your current configuration will stop working at any moment since the software is not designed to receive this hardware.

We cannot provide you with support or recommendations related to your desired configuration, please also keep in mind that using the product outside of specifications voids the warranty of your Intel® SSD.

We hope the community can help you. 

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please read this Page.

Leon

0 Kudos
MAnth4
Beginner

Thank you, that page is one of reasons why I am asking with concern over future proofing, I have heard reports of people having headaches with Microsoft store version

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MAnth4,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

Please take into consideration that the usage of an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series as cache device is not a tested or validated configuration for this drive and may cause unpredictable results since the hardware intended for this purpose is the Intel® Optane™ memory with the Optane software or RST software. It is expected that your current configuration will stop working at any moment since the software is not designed to receive this hardware.

We cannot provide you with support or recommendations related to your desired configuration, please also keep in mind that using the product outside of specifications voids the warranty of your Intel® SSD.

We hope the community can help you. 

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

0 Kudos