cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizer scheduler stopped working (since Win 8?)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

520 120gb, ACHI on a P5W DH deluxe running at SATA 2.

Installed Windows 8, the scheduler does not work anymore.

Also - is there a problem with Intel forums, as I haven't been able to post message since late December. Until now (Feb)

Also a warning from Microsoft appears about the certification of the website?

Please investigate thanks

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got a certification error when trying to log in to site - its becoming a joke.

ok so question - why am i getting a certification problem when logging in?

2- no the drive scheduler does not work. i installed windows 8. Fresh from Win 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Evening Ken,

yes just tried running scheduler as System admin (right click on desktop icon where i saved it, and Start screen icon on Win 8). No luck there.

RMill22
New Contributor

My computer is a fresh install of Windows 8. I've tried running as admin and not as admin, and tried reinstalling the toolbox. No matter what, the optimizer jobs don't get added to Windows' Task Scheduler.

As a side note, is the optimizer even required for Windows 8? Win8 seems to be much smarter about SSDs and schedules its own TRIM optimizations weekly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There are multiple limitations or issues with the SSD Toolbox and Windows 8. I have done clean, fresh Windows 8 installations, and use the Windows 8 compatible IRST drivers, and Option ROMs.

The SSD Optimizer no longer works with RAID 0 volumes, which is displayed as a warning when using the Optimizer in that way. The Release Notes for the last version of the Toolbox mention adding Windows 8 support, but that was in 10/2012, and apparently things have changed since then. The Release Notes and the Optimizer itself are not on the same page, a bit out of sync regarding Windows 8.

The good news is the Windows 8 SSD optimize feature works on any SSD, as well as SSDs in RAID 0. That runs on a schedule that can be configured, so fortunately nothing is lost.

All,

I'm traveling for the next week but will continue to try to recreate this. In the meantime you can set up your own task in the Win 8 task scheduler. Assuming the Toolbox is installed in the default location the Program to run is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) SSD Toolbox\Intel SSD Toolbox.exe

You need to add these 'arguments': -drive_letter C -drive_serial BTPR2163041F120LGN -trim scheduled

You would need to change the 'C' to match the drive letter of the SSD in your system and change the 'BTPR2163041F120LGN' to match the ISN of your drive.