Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

P4800X seen as a portable device

farero
New Contributor I

NVME 1.5TB P4800X is seen by windows 2019 as a portable device (like usb disk).

Any idea on how to solve that?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @farero.

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Support.

I reviewed your thread regarding the P4800X not being properly recognized, I will be glad to assist you.

Please let me know the following:

How is the drive being connected to the system?

How many P4800X do you have? If so, do other show the same issue?

Have you tested the drive in a different system or a different OS in the same system? 

Have you tried installing the latest Datacenter NVMe driver?

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29984?v=t

If the issue persists even after installing the driver or the driver did not even recognize the SSD, please provide me with a full system report using Intel SSU:

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

- Instructions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
  2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

I will follow up on January 14th or we can schedule a different date for the follow up if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

farero
New Contributor I

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

How is the drive being connected to the system? It's connected via the front bays NVMe drive backplanes directly PCI

How many P4800X do you have? If so, do other show the same issue? Only one

Have you tested the drive in a different system or a different OS in the same system? No

Have you tried installing the latest Datacenter NVMe driver? It's the only one installed

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @farero.

Thank you for the information provided.

After reviewing the screenshots and system report we can confirm the drive should be working fine, and the reason why the SSD is showing in Portable Devices is not actually SSD related, for this cases it is recommended to contact Microsoft directly to disable this feature or to make sure it is configured properly.

In some instances, it could also be related to the storage controller drivers installed, so it is a good idea to make sure the latest drivers and BIOS from the system manufacturer are installed by checking with them in case the instructions from Microsoft do not work.

If you have other questions, please let me know, otherwise, I will proceed to close the thread on January 15th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

farero
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen that the storage controller driver is the intel one 5.1.0.1003, but the disk controller is the Microsoft one 10.0.17763.1 (year 2006).

Is that correct? Is any specific intel driver for the disk drive?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @farero.

That does not actually mean that the driver being used is from that date, that is just the way Microsoft makes sure that drivers from different OEMs or manufacturers take priority over the Microsoft ones. 

Judging by the screenshot from the "Storage controllers" section, your drive already has the latest version, 5.1.0.1003 as you mentioned, but you can check with the latest NVMe driver I provided in my initial response:

Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29984?v=t

This is the latest drive we have for that drive that matches the one already installed, so it is still recommended to check with Microsoft or the system manufacturer on how to fix the drive being also recognized as a removable or Portable Device.

I will close the thread on January 18th or you can let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @farero.

Good day,

This post is just to confirm that your community thread is now closed as this issue needs to be fixed from the side of the OS.

Please feel free to open a new thread and reference this one if necessary, or in case you need any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back via our community or any of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos