cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC wont boot unless I reseat my 660p 1tb almost every time. What could be the issue?

GČade
New Contributor II

Built the system at the end of january. Worked fine till now. A week ago it just didnt want to wake from sleep, so i did a hard reset. It didnt boot, instead it kept opening the bios, where the hard drive wasnt listed. I ended up taking the drive out, to see if it has any visible marks. None. So i put it back in into the same m.2 slot, and it worked fine.

Next day it didnt boot windows again, straight to bios. I put the drive into the other slot, and it turned on fine. Then i updated the BIOS on the motherboard, and it again didnt want to boot up, instead went straight to bios. No drive detected. Put the drive back into the first slot, and it worked again.

Did some more digging, set the PCI bus in bios to 3.0 instead of Auto. Also ran chckdsk /r /f. Assesed drive health with 3rd party app, health of drive at 100%. Did a virus scan, no issues. I also changed all the bios settings as per the recomendation on the solid state support guide, and the Intel® Solid State Drives with PCIe* NVMe* Boot Installation Guide

Worked fine for a few days, and i had the same problem today. Again reseated the m.2 drive in the same slot (slot A), and it works again.

I have zero issues with the drive outside of this, and it works fine in other computers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello GČade,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

Based on the information you provided and the troubleshooting you have done so far, your issue seems to be more related to the motherboard than to the SSD. 

We advise you to follow the community recommendations regarding the BIOS reset.

If this does not solve the issue, our only advice is to contact your motherboard manufacturer for further assistance and recommendations regarding the necessary BIOS configuration.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

LeonWaksman
Contributor II

You may download the Intel SSD Toolbox application. With this application in additional to checking the SSD health and checking the Smart Data, you will be able to update your SSD firmware.

Leon

GČade
New Contributor II

I already did that, it says my firmware is up to date. It also reports the drive as being completely healthy.

Why the drive is not booting it is recognized by Bios ? I'm asking if you see it in Bios or the PCIe slot is shown as non populated?

Leon

GČade
New Contributor II

Nope, doesnt recognize it at all. Shows the slots as empty, and doesnt list anything in the boot drive sections.

1.When the failure happen, can you see if removing the CMOS battery and replacing it after 15 minutes helps? Of course the Power Adapter should be disconnected.

2. Did you checked the CMOS battery condition?

Leon