cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe 910 400Gb stops working after recovering from sleep with Intel Rapid Start Technology

TAhon
New Contributor

I ended up having a minor problem after installing 910 series PCIe SSD. I am running Asus Z97-A, i7-4790k, 16Gb ram, EVGA GTX 970. OS is Win7 x64 running on Samsung 850 PRO series SSD drive. I also have 2 WD Black series HDD's. I have tried now with SATA in AHCI mode and in RAID mode, but I suppose those should not affect on my case as the drive is in PCIe slot. Sleep mode is turned in to Intel Rapid Start mode immediately.

Problem:

If I decide to put my computer to sleep and wake it up later, I end up having the other block of 200Gb parts of SSD showing yellow exclamation mark in device manager. If I go to browse files my explorer freezes and same happens if I open properties of the broken device in device manager, the device manager freezes.

This ends up causing the system to be impossible to shutdown or use normally. I need to hit reset to return back normal. If I let it stay on after the wake up, in some point the computer restarts by itself and gives me a note of blue screen with BSCODE 9F.

Any ideas how to proceed? I would like to use the sleep mode even that the computer start quite fast also with normal boot.

10 REPLIES 10

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello tahonen,

It seems that the combination of Intel® Rapid Start Technology and a PCIe SSD is causing the drive not to be ready when the system resumes, causing this failure, however, we would need more information to determine why the system is not resuming from sleep properly.

Here are some initial recommendations that may help:

- Make sure you are using Solid-State Drive: Intel® 900 Family Drivers, version 13.0: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21140/Solid-State-Drive-Intel-900-Family-Drivers- Download Solid-State Drive: Intel® 900 Family Drivers

- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and make sure you use the latest BIOS available for your motherboard.

- Check in the BIOS of your PC and try disabling "Fast boot" if it is enabled.

For further assistance, please let us know the following:

What is the current usage for the volumes from the 910? (storage, rapid start partition, etc)

Have you tried disabling Rapid start?What other actions have you tried so far?

Hello,

I have tried installing and removing the driver. I also did try Windows re-install by turning my SATA mode to RAID from AHCI. I think I had this working before properly. About that case, I had same OS but the difference was, that I had one SSD (the Samsung 850 pro) and 2 WD black HDD's and I had Intel Smart Storage technology cache applied to the other spinning WD black drive which was also acting as my Windows appdata folder and also game installation drive. I did also install some applications in there to save space from the SSD.

Then I bought this drive from my brother, it was new and unused in the time I got it. I made it a striped 400 Gb partition with Windows drive tool. I think it was working that time.

And because I had moved the appdata folder and user folder from original location in drive C (the SSD) to drive D (WD Black 1Tb + Intel SRT cache 64Gb) I decided to have this new SSD as my new drive D, so I moved my appdata etc. back to C to the original location, but due to some changes in Windows registry I ended up having some minor defects while running (like icons missing from programs etc.). After that I decided to do a reinstall. In this I changed the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI and ended up having this trouble I am facing now.

Then I decided to give it a try, did a full backup of drive C (the Samsung SSD with OS installed) and reinstalled Windows again, but this time with RAID enabled, it didn't make any difference, still ended up having the same yellow exclamation mark under device manager. After that I returned everything from the backup.

Now I uninstalled the driver from this SSD controller and ended up having some LSI SAS driver in the devices. Then I updated the driver and chose Intel 720 series SSD from the list of devices after choosing the driver inf-file.

I tested turning computer to sleep and woke up after a minute and ended up having again the same problem. So I think I should be having the correct/latest driver installed.

Checked that I have the latest Bios also installed. And I did also disable "fast boot" from bios, but no luck.

As mentioned earlier the drive is in one partition with full available size as a striped dynamic volume on GPT partition.

What the drive contains: Game installations from Origin, Steam and uPlay.

Drive works properly as long as I don't put the computer to sleep. I haven't tried disabling the Rapid Start as I understood that hibernate wouldn't work when Windows installation is done as UEFI installation. At least I remember earlier ending up having dataloss on recovering from sleep/hibernate.

But I think the whole idea is lost from the sleep mode if I disable the Rapid Start.

I think I answered to the last question already 😃

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

Please try the following actions:

- Connect the SSD 910 to a different, available PCIe Gen2.0/3.0 x8 slot.

- Update the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver in your system.

TAhon
New Contributor

I think I have already tried the other slot and it ended up to same problem and also changed my graphics card to run on x8 mode instead of x16 as it was in shared slot.

I have the latest drivers installed.