cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe type SSD 750 Hardware RAID on Z97, X99, or Z170 motherboards?

wwelc1
New Contributor II

Is it possible to cofigure hardware (i.e. bootable) raid 0 of two PCIe type SSD 750 on any of Z97, X99, or Z170 motherboards?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello welcomesorrow,

There is no RAID support for NVMe drives with Z97 and X99 chipsets, only OS (Software) RAID. These chipsets do not have the PCIe/SATA remapping technology required for iRST to support NVMe devices.

Some systems using the Intel® Z170 Chipset and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology are capable of using RAID with PCIe* NVMe* SSDs. We would recommend you to check with the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support before purchasing to confirm if a specific system supports this. Some Z170 systems may not have the device mapping and BIOS features required to create a bootable RAID volume.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

wwelc1
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks again for you comments.

What I meant was that some PCIe sockets are connected directly to CPU, whereas others are hunging from the chipset. From your first comment about Z170 being capable of remapping PCIe to SATA, I took it that for SSD 750 to be recognized for BIOS RAID both of them will need to be put in PCIe sockets that are connected to Z170. It looks obvious but I wanted to make sure.

I have since found two reports, one using ASUS Z170 Delux and another ASRock Z170 Extreme7+, that demonstrate BIOS RAID using SSD 750. However, if there is any microATX board, I would prefer that.

cheers,

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

I am glad that we were able to clarify your concerns regarding RAID and Intel® SSD 750 Series.

At thist point, we advise you to check with the Motherboard Manufacturers if they have any motherboards that meet your requirements, including the form factor.