Ok... I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board with the latest bios (F4).
I had a
750GB WD Black Edition WD7502AAEX
64GB Crucial CT064M4SSD2 (latest firmware, 002)
working just fine with the RST tech!! Maximized cache and working great.
Unfortunatley the 750GB DIED!!!
I replaced it with an even newer (mfg date June 2011) 500GB WD drive.
I cannot get it to work with the SSD in RST. I updated to an even newer version of the RST software, reloaded OS completely, ALL latest drivers for everything.
In the BIOS I have disabeled the Gigabyte XHD (I've tried it with enabled too), I'm in RAID mode and the Intel Raid config utility shows all the disks as NON-RAID.
When I get to Windows, I can start the RST and it will "allow" me to configure the 500GB hard drive for acceleration -- but it never "takes". I also have a "slave" 640GB on port 3 which it WILL let me accelerate... however that is just an extra storage drive I threw in the system.
If I try to accelerate the 640GB it will actually take. The 500GB it gives me the option, but it after pressing ok, basically nothing happens.
I have been to the bios raid config and removed the raid config from all drives for a "clean slate" but to no avail. (the ssd will show up as "cache" in raid util after setting it in windows and rebooting.)
Thanks for your comments or suggestions.
If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know. I'm tearing my hair out here. Very frustrated because I just had the other drive that was working crash... and after reloading rebuilding... I have this issue!
On this case I suggest you to check the Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide at the following link:
This explain exactly step by step how to configure the Intel Smart response technology
Thank you for taking the time to reply... I certainly do appreciate any and all input.
The strange thing here is that I am able to accelerate the other (storage) drive no problem. Additionally I was able to accelerate the previous system drive before it went kaput.
The new drive is a Western Digital WD5002AALX-00J37A0. It is a BRAND NEW model, mfg date June 2011 and I think its exact model/firmware may just not be supported for some strange obscure/minute reason... I am hoping someone in Intel would see this and investigate, it is a very strange issue which I tried to demonstrate in the video.
I've taken additional steps since... I have fully scanned the spindle drive for any errors, defragged it, updated to F8 Bios (the board is a Gigabyte GAZ68-UD3H-B3) which just came out a few days ago, loaded defaults in the BIOS and then carefully reset everything to the correct settings taking care to reference the Intel RST instructions.
Today I even removed the storage drive and swapped the SSD and 500GB harddrive's ports to no avail. RST detects it and attempts to accelerate it - there's every indication that it's going to work, but then it doesn't.