cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Raid0 benchmarks for intel x25 g2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Shouldn't I be seeing a read average of about 400+ for hd tune here? This is set up in a dell xps8000 raid 0 with 128 blocks on Win7. Thanks for any Help.

21 REPLIES 21

DZand
Contributor III

Your experience after having done a clean reinstall of Win7 certifies what I previously have written: Nothing will be changed.

Here is my comment:

1. Your RAID0 benchmark results are not as poor as you think. I didn't see any similar read speeds with a non-RAID SSD system.

2. Wait for the upcoming bug-free Intel SSD firmware, flash it into your SSD and redo a benchmark.

3. As long as we don't get an Intel RAID driver, which is able to give the TRIM command to the SSD, our SSD RAID systems will not be perfect.

Notice:

This is the way I have partitioned my 2x160 GB RAID:

Drive0: Boot partition (size: 8 GB, containing the MBR and the pagefile)

Drive1: Win7 x64 partition (size: 70 GB, no pagefile)

Drive2: another OS partition (size: 70 GB, no pagefile)

Drive3: Data partition (size: 150 GB)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is what HD tune looks like when I set HD tune block size to 512kb(compared to the 64kb default). Why is there such a huge variation in read performance with these settings?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

strip size?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Stripe size is 128.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I *think* with a strip size of 128KB that it reads/writes 128KB for the 64KB block size test. Another factor may also be the page and block sizes of the SSD. Hopefully somebody with more expertise can confirm this??

I also have RAID0 running on 2 160GB g2 drives under windows 7. My read transfers are:

64KB block = 172 MB/sec

128KB block = 225 MB/sec

512KB block = 418 MB/sec

1MB block = 450 MB/sec

As for driver I am using c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorV.sys version 8.6.2.1012 (comes with OS)

7.9 for disk transfer under Windows Experience is nice but franky I am scared to make any changes since it's rather uncertain re X25M firmware and support for SSDs in RAID under Storage Manager appears to be lacking.