cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance on Intel 520 SSD

DHard6
New Contributor

I have an Intel 520 (120GB version) in a high end system and the performance is very poor. I'm getting similar performance to when I was running Windows from a HDD.

I know you don't really recognize the WEI as a valid performance indicator but I previously had a Samsung 840 Pro on this system (Identical configuration this drive is a cloned version of the prior installation cloned with Paragon Migrate OS to SSD) and it got a rating of 7.9 out of 7.9 and this intel 520 gets a 4.9.

I can tell you that it takes 30 seconds AT LEAST for a program to start and I'm not talking about a game here I mean just word or excel. I also use Actual Window Manager and it's running all the time and when I click on the tray icon to bring it up it takes at least 30 seconds to respond and it's already running. This is if I haven't accessed it since booting the system so I'm assuming it's code is in the swap file even though it really shouldn't be since i have 32GB of RAM. It takes only 10 seconds after the first time I access it. I don't know why this is since the code MUST be in use since it interacts with every single window used in windows. And I use A LOT of windows simultaneously on my 5 screens. At least 25 or more running AT LEAST. (Windows & apps not including add ons and helper applications)

System configuration is

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Asrock Z87 OC Formula/ac,

4770K@4.4GHz,

Corsair H80i CPU Cooler,

32GB Gskill RipjawsX 2133MHz,

EVGA Supernova P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully Modular PSU,

2x Gigabyte 7870 OC GPUs,1x EVGA GeForce GTX 660

2x27" BenQ LED, 2x27" Acer H274HL, 1x42" Samsung LED TV

I've attached the smart details from Intel SSD Toolbox

One thing I noticed when I ran the system tuner on the drive is it says "Action Required - Dual-drive system detected with superfetch enabled. Intel recommends disabling superfetch on the intel SSD."

I don't know what this means I'm not running a dual drive setup if that means a raid setup. I only have windows installed on a single SSD on this system so I don't know what that means. Can you tell me what that means?

I tried running the Intel System Support Utility For Windows but got this message

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

Click OK to close the application"

I used the latest version of the support utility (v2.5 dated 2017-07-13)

Don't know why it won't run can you help me with that so I can send you the information.

I also attached CrystalDiskMark v5.2.2 x64 rating

and ATTO benchmark on the drive

Let me know if you need any additional information to help me with this.

Thanks for your help

8 REPLIES 8

DHard6
New Contributor

Don't know what happened I thought I already responded to this I guess I forgot to upload the response.

i've attached the msinfo information requested.

No one has responded to my question. Why would I disable superfetch isn't it supposed to be a good thing. I'm NOT running a dual drive setup which I specifically said in my last post and instead of responding you tell me to disable it. Why would I do that? You're telling me to disable an important performance enhancing feature based on erroneous information. I don't have a dual drive system.

You do realize that probably 95% of HDs purchased at this point in time are OS drives. Up to this point they've really been too small for anything else and too expensive and inefficient (Since you would need so many of them which would take up all the SATA ports in a current system to be large enough to hold a useful amount of data)

So I guess the reality is that NO SSD get the performance advertised in all the literature and on the review sites. That interesting. It's also pretty pathetic that according to you you can only get that performance on an empty drive. So to get performance better than a HDD

1 A SSD cannot be used as an boot drive,

2 Must be almost empty.

3 Cannot be in a RAID configuration. Based on the fact that the system tuner has an issue with a dual drive system.(I'm assuming that's what the system tuner is talking about

Can this possibly be right?

DHard6
New Contributor

95% of HDs

That should have said 95% of SSDs

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DH888,

Please check your private messages.Regards, Junior M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DH888,

We would like to know if you read our previous post and if you have any other questions. We'll be waiting for your response.Regards, Junior M.