cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to change storage controller mode from AHCI to IDE?

ScottG
New Contributor

Hello, I have an ancient self-built system running Windows 7 64 Pro. I originally built the computer in 2010 using a X25-M 80GB Intel SSD as the boot drive. I want to reinstall the OS onto my 335-series 240GB SSD now but it doesn't show up in BIOS as a bootable device due to running in AHCI mode. The BIOS only detects devices running in IDE (legacy) mode as bootable; the separate raid controller from Marvell detects the 335.  I wish to know if it is possible to change the storage controller mode from AHCI to IDE so that I can use the drive as my new OS drive.

PS I have previously contacted the motherboard manufacturer for information about updating the BIOS but found no joy concerning my particular request.

2 REPLIES 2

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, @ScottG.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

Due to this product being legacy/discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding. The thread will remain open in case other community members can assist, but not monitored for support.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

I appreciate the link to the discontinued products page. The information regarding using Intel Optane was informative but unfortunately unusable in Windows 7. I suppose I am asking more to learn about how the drive's storage controller works; is it set during manufacture, is it modifiable, is there any way to adapt the controller mode to work in legacy mode. Hopefully there is someone with this information on these forums - teach me please.