cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Intel DH67BL from setting security freeze lock on boot?

HButt
New Contributor

I have a DH67BL motherboard, with the latest BIOS. There doesn't seem to be an option to stop it from setting SECURITY FREEZE LOCK on every boot. Because of this, I'm unable to use the built-in encryption of my Intel 320 SSD. One of the factors that motivated me to buy this particular SSD was the built-in AES encryption, so I'm a bit frustrated I'm unable to.

Unplugging the SSD each and every boot is quite unfeasible.

Is there a workaround?

Or will there be a BIOS update for this motherboard to address this unwanted and unnecessary 'feature'?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SStah
New Contributor

Intel's firmware engineers suffer from [redacted] and other malaise. Setting the jumper on this mobo to maintenance, setting a password, and then setting jumper to normal will allow using hard drives with the password set.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Allan_J_Intel1
New Contributor II

Thanks for joining the Desktop Board community.

I understand you are looking for BIOS features that can handle Security Freeze Lock.

Please bear in mind the motherboard does not offer BIOS settings to enable or disable Security Freeze Lock.

The workaround for this matter would be putting the drive to sleep or suspend to unfreeze it, or power cycle the SSD:

Take a look at the link below for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034543.htm http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034543.htm

Allan.

Thank you for the response.

I understand power cycling works, but that's quite unfeasible to do every boot. Are there any plans at Intel to address this issue, to allow users of Intel desktop boards the ability to use the full feature set of their Intel SSDs, without requiring third party FDE solutions?

What technical limitations are preventing an updated BIOS being released with the menu item for SECURITY FREEZE LOCK unhidden and able to be toggled?

Thanks for the information. I will move this thread to our SSD community.

Allan.

SStah
New Contributor

Intel's firmware engineers suffer from [redacted] and other malaise. Setting the jumper on this mobo to maintenance, setting a password, and then setting jumper to normal will allow using hard drives with the password set.