cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with S3500 SSD

pebo
New Contributor

I have two Intel SSD DC S3500 80GB and both are degraded. They have only been used occasionally and have not been switched on for several months now.

The SSD are unusable today. How solve this issue?

Export from toolbox is attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi pebo,

Thank you for the quick response.

I checked the files attached and indeed, the drives are currently in a disable logical state.

Unfortunately, there is no way to recover the drives from this state. There is a possibility though, that by updating the firmware version, the drives may be recovered.

The current firmware version your drives have is the D2010370, however the latest version is the D2012370. Having said this, please try to update the firmware using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool using the following command: isdct load -intelssd <index_number>

If you get an error, or if you are able to update the firmware but the issue is not fixed, then there is nothing else we can do to try to recover the units.

In this scenario, the only recommendation I can give you is to contact the Warranty Support Team for a warranty resolution. Please go to the following site to open a service ticket: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@3. You have to select under Hardware, the Memory and Storage option and then create an Online Service Request.

Make sure to add the proof of purchase of these units since the Warranty Support Team will ask you for it. You can also refer to this community thread where we have done the troubleshooting process.

I hope you find this information useful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi pebo,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand you have issues with 2 Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series, however I would like to know what you mean by“degraded”. If you were able to get the SMART reports using the Intel® SSD Toolbox, then it means the drives are recognized by the OS, so I would like to know what the issue is exactly.

Additionally, since you are using Data Center drives, could you please get the SMART reports again and other additional information from the drives using this time the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (DCT)? This is the recommended tool when working with Data Center drives.

Please download it from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28460/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool-Intel-SSD-DCT-?product=87...

The following article includes a guide to install the tool and another guide that explains how to run commands in the tool: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020016/memory-and-storage.html

Once you have installed it, please run the following commands and save the outputs in separate text files. This information will help us to understand what the current status of each drive is:

• isdct show -a -intelssd <index_number>
  • isdct show -a -sensor -intelssd <index_number>
  • isdct show -a -smart -intelssd <index_number>
  • isdct show -a -performance -intelssd <index_number>

Notice that you have to specify the index number of each drive to get the correct data, for example isdct show -a -intelssd 0. If you just run the command isdct show -intelssd, you will see a list with all your drives connected and their index numbers.

If you have any doubts, feel free to ask.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

pebo
New Contributor

Yes, the drives are recognized by OS and reports SMART, but no data is read. Under Linux I see "DMA READ" errors. The Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox reports: "Drive health is degraded. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance." under Diagnostic Scan or Firmware Update tabs.

There are reports, first number in filename means SSD, second number means command index from above.

Hi pebo,

Thank you for the quick response.

I checked the files attached and indeed, the drives are currently in a disable logical state.

Unfortunately, there is no way to recover the drives from this state. There is a possibility though, that by updating the firmware version, the drives may be recovered.

The current firmware version your drives have is the D2010370, however the latest version is the D2012370. Having said this, please try to update the firmware using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool using the following command: isdct load -intelssd <index_number>

If you get an error, or if you are able to update the firmware but the issue is not fixed, then there is nothing else we can do to try to recover the units.

In this scenario, the only recommendation I can give you is to contact the Warranty Support Team for a warranty resolution. Please go to the following site to open a service ticket: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@3. You have to select under Hardware, the Memory and Storage option and then create an Online Service Request.

Make sure to add the proof of purchase of these units since the Warranty Support Team will ask you for it. You can also refer to this community thread where we have done the troubleshooting process.

I hope you find this information useful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

pebo
New Contributor

The firmware update did not help. The isdct load command reports "disable logical state".

The situation with the discs is pretty weird. Not more than a few GB have been written on each. I think it's a firmware bug.

Discs can not be sent to the warranty because they contain sensitive data.

These disks have proved to be a trash...