cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about putting two X-25M 160gb in Raid 0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So I am getting my second X-25M today and was thinking of putting my two into a Raid 0 setup. Will TRIM work if put in that setup? Does the new firmware make it work? I searched around a bit, but am confused if TRIM is supported at all in a Raid 0 setup.

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As of now, you wont get TRIM working in any RAID configuration.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks niemion... now to decide if I should still set it up in Raid 0 or have it as 2 separate drives

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No problem. As we speak I'm testing 3 and 4 80's in RAID0, it's good, but the scaling using the fourth disk is ridiculous. Comparing to 3 disk RAID0 there's is a 5-10% penalty for adding the fourth.

I think two disks as you suggest would be the most sane choice. If you have the 2 drives already then I wouldn't hesitate to put them in R0. Sure you lose TRIM, and manually "trimming" (HDDErase 3.3 or 4.0) requires much more work, but to me it's easily worth it.

There are rumours that Intel is working on a driver that would allow TRIM when using RAID on their own controllers.

DZand
Contributor III

niemion schrieb:

There are rumours that Intel is working on a driver that would allow TRIM when using RAID on their own controllers.

Indeed, Intel's upcoming AHCI/RAID drivers do not belong anymore to the "Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager" (IMSM) generation.

The new storage drivers are part of the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (IRST) and obviously are optimized for being used with Intel SSD's under Windows 7.

At Station-Drivers you can already get WHQL certified IRST drivers v9.5.0.1037, which are running perfectly with my Intel ICH10R RAID0 system containing 2x160 GB Postville SSD's.

What I still don't know is, if these drivers do already support the Trim command.