cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about putting two X-25M 160gb in Raid 0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So I am getting my second X-25M today and was thinking of putting my two into a Raid 0 setup. Will TRIM work if put in that setup? Does the new firmware make it work? I searched around a bit, but am confused if TRIM is supported at all in a Raid 0 setup.

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks guys for the answers. Can't wait to go home and install my SSD's in a raid setup... at least there is hope out there for official TRIM support on a RAID setup

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i am debating your exact setup (2 160gb g2's in RAID 0) but i don't know if there are actual real world benefits for my setup. I'd love to hear your experiences. Not just benchmarks but actually using the computer and how the RAID 0 makes a difference.

I do some video, photo editing, and some desktop publishing. not to mention gaming. Problem is I store all my data on my caviar 2tb black drive so I'm not sure how the RAID 0 will really speed things up.

anyways, looking forward to hearing

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, i'm currently running two X-25M 160gb in Raid 0. Main reason why i like Raid 0 is because i dont like having split drives, like all my apps in the one drive.

Never knew trim wasnt supported in raid, but its hella fast. I've never ran a single setup but so i cant really compare it but my benchmarks show more than a double increase.

If raid doesnt support trim, what are the methods to do manual trimming and how often will it be needed to do?

DZand
Contributor III

dreborn schrieb:

i am debating your exact setup (2 160gb g2's in RAID 0) but i don't know if there are actual real world benefits for my setup. I'd love to hear your experiences. Not just benchmarks but actually using the computer and how the RAID 0 makes a difference.

I do some video, photo editing, and some desktop publishing. not to mention gaming. Problem is I store all my data on my caviar 2tb black drive so I'm not sure how the RAID 0 will really speed things up.

anyways, looking forward to hearing

Hello dreborn,

I am very happy with my RAID0 system and do totally agree with LuI3: It's uncredible fast, especially if you handle with big sized files.

My benchmark results show read speed of more than 570 MB/sec and write speeds of 230 MB/sec. This is about 100% more than you will get by non-RAID SSD's.

Furthermore the risk of loosing data because of a mechanical damage is 0.

Regards

Fernando

DZand
Contributor III

LuI3 schrieb:

If raid doesnt support trim, what are the methods to do manual trimming and how often will it be needed to do?

It is only needed, when you realize, that your system's performance is down.

As long as there are no Trim supporting RAID drivers, I do it like this:

1. Backup the whole partitions of my RAID by using Acronis TrueImage.

2. Disable RAID within the BIOS

3. Erase all datas by using HDDErase (SafeErase).

4. Enable RAID again

5. Restore all partitions of my RAID by booting off the Acronis TrueImage CD.

Regards

Fernando