cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on what the 80g x25-m g2 OEM should ship with

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Model: SSDSA2M080G2GN

I bought a new SSD from a extreamly well known online retailer that shall remain nameless for now. It came in just a electrostatic bag in their standard retail box. It is my beleif that this OEM drive should ship in a brown cardboard Intel box, with an info sheet and should come from the factory with a black spacer frame pre-attached. My drive has none of those and is missing the black frame. I have concerns that i have been passed a open box item or refurbed item.

Can someone confirm what the OEM drive with the above model number should ship with? I am not referencing the retail sku, i strictly would like info on what the OEM drive should have

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

VPent
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi tjb247, Intel device's id is really confusing, but i have 3 OEM SSDs and each came in a brown cardbox, with a identifying label on it. Inside the box the SSD came in an anti-electrostatic bag, in a foam bed. Also in the box there is an one page Installation Guide and a sticker "My SSD Rocks" (which after the FW flashing issue might be "My SSD Rocked"...). The device with the black spacer is a 9.5 mm form factor device, and without it is a 7 mm form factor one. You can check that on "Mechanical Information" at http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/x25m/sb/x18mx25msatassdproductmanual34nm322296.pdf There is a good picture of OEM 9.5 ff SSD's and its box at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016 You can see how many hours the SSD was utilized, and other info, in the Health information section of HD Tune, for checking the overal SSD state, until the revised Intel SSD Toolbox is available. Hope this helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the posts

Valdir - thanks for the info - i will install and test tonight using HD tune. I haven't named the vendor becasue i haven't read the forum rules but let's say, hypothetically of course, that I used that exact newegg link to purchase and was sent a 7mm ssd. And that, hypothetically of course, i complaind like crazy and discovered the diffrent SA numbers, notified newegg and am now requesting that i be sent a black spacer for the confussion. They are also, hypothetically of course, looking at splitting the items into 4 item numbers. 2 for the retail and 2 for the OEM.

Will respond when i hear more and after the drive is tested

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For those who might read in this thread and are confused with the Numbers on the package/SSD. 

Packaging Numbers (last two characters)

01- OEM without spacers (7mm)

C1- OEM with spacer (7mm + 2.5mm spacer)

R5- Retail Version with spacers and 3.5" adapter

What it says on the actual SSD

GC or GN

How an OEM box looks like

RETAIL Version

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hopefully you can grab the one with the spacers . I don't think you'll be able to get the spacers unless you return your oem and get the one with the included spacers. I don't think they, INTEL, sells the spacers separately. I could be wrong though.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

yea, i was expecting your first vid there with the 80g drive. Which matches every unboxing I've seen online and the pictures the vendor had up.

Instead I got this...which started this whole thread. This was taken about 15 seconds after cutting open the box and about 5 seconds after my first WTF of the day.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

WOW that really does look suspect and what a bad packaging. Such a huge box. I wonder if the "01" are the true OEM (just the drive itself and nothing more). Now if you got it at the egg, did you happen to get the one oem with "g2XXXX" on the site. I would be suspect of that one. It kind of tells you they don't know which kind it is. If you did get it at the egg you shouldn't have a problem getting the spacer since you didn't get what was advertised both in picture and info (states 9mm height).

Keep us updated. I might have to change my list above.