cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on what the 80g x25-m g2 OEM should ship with

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Model: SSDSA2M080G2GN

I bought a new SSD from a extreamly well known online retailer that shall remain nameless for now. It came in just a electrostatic bag in their standard retail box. It is my beleif that this OEM drive should ship in a brown cardboard Intel box, with an info sheet and should come from the factory with a black spacer frame pre-attached. My drive has none of those and is missing the black frame. I have concerns that i have been passed a open box item or refurbed item.

Can someone confirm what the OEM drive with the above model number should ship with? I am not referencing the retail sku, i strictly would like info on what the OEM drive should have

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:# 0400; mso-fareast-language:# 0400; mso-bidi-language:# 0400;} <![endif]-->

yea tell me about it, it was a shock. It was found just like that, not even paper wrapped around the drive. Whoever packed it just tossed it into the box and stuffed a bunch of paper on top.

Yes, it was bought at the egg - the exact link that's listed above by valdir, but at a promotional price.

As i have no packaging i can't confirm packing numbers. I looked on the packing sheet and on the box and don't see anything resembling those codes. On the drive the model is listed as ...80G2GN. The only thing i was told from Intel (so can confirm) are the SA numbers differ:

OEM 7mm = SA: E70559-???

OEM 9.5mm = SA: E64510-???

Originally i was blown off by egg front line tech support. They just wanted to offer a refund, no exchanges and no answers. Eventually i was able to find two people, one CS and one on their eggxpert forum, who were much more responsive. No word on the spacer yet. I'm concerned that the lack of spacer will result in less of a resale price down the road, and I'm also just upset i was shipped a misrepresented product. Honestly it sounded like my information about the dual models of OEM and Retail was a complete shock to them, which is inexcusable, but they said they would look into differentiating everything into separate item codes. We'll see what happens. At the end of the day is not having the bracket the end of the world? No, but I'm a poor grad student who has been lusting after this drive since the initial bench's showed up and the trim firmware was annonced. I eagerly awaited this drive's arrival only to open it up and see the picture I submitted. I then spent most of the day trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Anyway, hopefully this drive functions as promised and they send me a spacer so I can move past this. I'll be installing later tonight and will let everyone know my diag. results.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

The 80GB G2 ships without a spacer from NewEgg.. link and picture attached I ran benchmarks with Crystal which does show hours used and it was new.. but no spacer? I am happy and the caddy for my laptop works fine with out the spacer.. so no harm no foul.. I hope the link and picture help..

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Drive installed fine. Ran active's disk monitor. SMART came back with 0 use hours and 12 power cycles. All the blocks checked out. I'm happy with the product but still miffed at the egg for all the BS.

I double checked their site...check the above link that links to the drive on newegg. We now know that the only diffrence between the 7mm and 9.5mm that's printed on the actual drive is the SA number. Now, zoom in on the picture that has the label and you'll notice that the S/N is blurred (for obvious reasons) but so is the SA number...hmm, why would you blur that? The only reason i can think is because somebody at newegg knew they had both drives and was happy misleading everybody that they were definitly getting the 'nicer' OEM. The drive with the spacer frame and the brown box that's been all over the stellar reviews and unboxings driving demand through the roof - but at the same time covered newegg's rear end.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy therorist but can you think of another reason to blur the SA?

Last but not least a little bench pic because - hey I'm excited and i can. Out with the old (2 WD 160g single plater drives in raid 0) and in with the new (80G x25-M G2). Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will take care of the sequential write, but otherwise..damn that's nice.

Thanks for all the help, will respond back with a final resoultion as soon as it's reached with newegg.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That looks exactly like my N-wE-G box...except for the blur! I'm satisfied my drive is new and working fine, but still miffed at the seller for what appears to be a misrepresentation of the item they advertised and the actual item that was delivered. I intend to make a final complaint to N-w_-g and see if they change their ad. This is how it's accurately depicted as "BULK" at:http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010790 http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010790

Not going to waste anymore time/energy on this. Now where's the firmware update?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Guys,

A couple of questions:

a) Have you been able to update the firmware to 02HD on your 'bulk' drives?

b) Do you have oxydization on the bottom side of your drive

c) Do you have the same intel logo pictured in the zipzoomfly and other sites?

I've attached the image of the top of my drive. Sorry for the blur, but you get the idea.

Regards,

Jason