cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RST Driver Lockup / Freezes (Win7 x64 w/2 x 80GB X25-M G2)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello all,

I have reviewed some of the other posts in the forum, but haven't found any that directly address what I am experiencing with my configuration.

As always, it is a challenge to troubleshoot the source of the issue - driver? mobo BIOS? etc.

I just purchased two 80GB SSD X25-M G2 drives (SSDSA2MH080G2C1). I connected them to my PC, I have an EVGA x58 Micro motherboard with updated BIOS.

In the BIOS, I have it set to "RAID" which the documentation indicates to me means that AHCI is enabled.

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit.

I installed the RST driver set in Windows and am able to see that the drives have NCQ enabled etc (that indicates AHCI is working, right? wrong?).

I have run CrystalDiskMark benchmarks and the performance was outstanding.

Through usage, be it web browsing (watching some Hulu) or playing games Modern Warfare 2, eventually the system freezes. It is not a blue screen, but it becomes non-responsive (task manager won't open, etc).

I changed the Windows driver installed to the Intel MSM drivers 8.9 set, and this lock up/freezing does NOT happen. However the benchmarks post statistically significant lower numbers performance-wise than with the RST drivers.

I installed the RST drivers from the Lenovo site 9.5.7.x listed in a post on this forum, and the freeze/lockups returned.

I am happy with the drive performance with the MSM drivers, it is damn quick, but it is bugging me that there is a 10-15% gain I could have with the RST drivers but there is no system stability.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

DZand
Contributor III

Hajji schrieb:

Are you running Win7 64-bit?

EVGA x58 brand mobo?

Yes, I am running Win7 x64, but my mainboard is a P45 chipset one (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R) with an Intel ICH10R Southbridge.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bump.

Anybody else noting this behavior. It is 100% reproducible.

Using the MSM drivers, I am all set with no issues.

Using the RST drivers, even the newest 9.5.7 version - Play Modern Warfare 2, or Flash Video (Hulu) for some time, and the system seizes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think I have a similar issue, but different OS / in AHCI mode. also, just happened at the desktop. Instead, I've gone to the IMSM and no problems: http://communities.intel.com/message/87248# 87248

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ozz wrote:

I think I have a similar issue, but different OS / in AHCI mode. also, just happened at the desktop. Instead, I've gone to the IMSM and no problems: /message/87248# 87248 http://communities.intel.com/message/87248# 87248

Hey there Ozz, yeah I found that to be the case in my original post. But there is a ~15%+ performance gain with the RST drivers. I didn't know if it was a setting / configuration issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I should clarify that and say it only happened at the desktop because I didn't really go into any 3D environment, games etc. But I'd hedge my bets that it probably was something similar if not the same issue. However, I think I'll leave tinkering alone for now as that machine can't really afford much downtime

Yeah, RSTs are faster, but I'm happy to take a slight performance hit using the IMSM driver whilst the RSTs are left in the oven a bit longer.

Cheers.