cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RST Driver Lockup / Freezes (Win7 x64 w/2 x 80GB X25-M G2)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello all,

I have reviewed some of the other posts in the forum, but haven't found any that directly address what I am experiencing with my configuration.

As always, it is a challenge to troubleshoot the source of the issue - driver? mobo BIOS? etc.

I just purchased two 80GB SSD X25-M G2 drives (SSDSA2MH080G2C1). I connected them to my PC, I have an EVGA x58 Micro motherboard with updated BIOS.

In the BIOS, I have it set to "RAID" which the documentation indicates to me means that AHCI is enabled.

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit.

I installed the RST driver set in Windows and am able to see that the drives have NCQ enabled etc (that indicates AHCI is working, right? wrong?).

I have run CrystalDiskMark benchmarks and the performance was outstanding.

Through usage, be it web browsing (watching some Hulu) or playing games Modern Warfare 2, eventually the system freezes. It is not a blue screen, but it becomes non-responsive (task manager won't open, etc).

I changed the Windows driver installed to the Intel MSM drivers 8.9 set, and this lock up/freezing does NOT happen. However the benchmarks post statistically significant lower numbers performance-wise than with the RST drivers.

I installed the RST drivers from the Lenovo site 9.5.7.x listed in a post on this forum, and the freeze/lockups returned.

I am happy with the drive performance with the MSM drivers, it is damn quick, but it is bugging me that there is a 10-15% gain I could have with the RST drivers but there is no system stability.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was about to create a freeze related thread..

I do have the same freeze issue on my 2500k build. It's very rare and random, and unpredictible. I run the system for 24/7, and usually it freezes while idling, browsing or doing some other light work. It never freezes while gaming or running prime95, etc. I thought this must be a BIOS related issue and spent hours working on it, but without a success.

I just had a sudden freeze on a firefox. The system has been runing stable for a week, 24/7, and this sudden freeze doesn't excite me at all.

It's not the power settings because the disks are set to never sleep or shut off.

I didn't know what to do, so I unistalled the RST driver. I am using a Win7 default driver as of now.

Please, update this thread, I really want to find out the cause of it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There is a number of bugs with the P67 chipset and drivers that cause all sorts of sleep & freeze problems.

Hard telling if Intel will ever get it fixed. We are at B3 version of P67 and still so many problems.

Try changing your power plan to not power off the disk drives after being idle for some period of time. In Win7 go to:

Control Panel > Power options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings

> Expand "Hard Disk" > Expand "Turn off hard disk after" > Set to "Never".

That is what stopped the freezes on my pc.

You might also try setting it to power off after 4 mins, allow the pc to be idle for 5 mins, and then see if it is frozen.

Thats how I reproduced the problem. If this doesn't solve your problem then its some other issue.