cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reformating a partition and Nand

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For the Intel X-25, to reformat the hard drive does it require a special utility to make the Nand in it like new or will a regular format do the job?

21 REPLIES 21

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are installing Win 7 and use the quick format option it will TRIM the drive. For other versions of Window's and for all versions of Macs you can use hdderase to run secure erase, which will reset the drive's performance back to factory condition.

The Intel Toolbox can also run a secure erase, but only on an unformated disk.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Where do I find this HDDerase?

I need to reinstall Vista64 onto my SSD.All sugestions welcome. I

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are reinstalling Vista you might find it much easier to use the Repair option in your install CD. You can open Diskpart under this option, identify your drive and then use the "CLEAN ALL" command. This would reset your SSD to new condition. It is the simplest way to set up the SSD for reinstallation. If you are not familiar with the use of Diskpart, please post and I will lay out the step-by-step process. By the way, this works great with Windows 7 and I am assuming that these options are similar to Vista.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually i have Windows 7,unfortunately the licence expired ,so instead of shelling out another 200 dollars to Microsoft I'll simply use my old Vista 64.I've decided to delete the Windows 7 OS by using the the Windows 7 disk,then shutting down the computer.I'm stalling until I get a full understanding about the F6 drivers applied to Vista 64.Someone said theres a problem.Something about AHCI not working under Vista .If thats the case I doubt the Intel SSD toolbox will work and it will limit the performance of the SSD.what are your thoughts?