cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall OS when TRIM support arrives?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I received my X-25M 160GB just when Intel pulled the firmware and SSD Toolbox. I've been using this drive for about 2 weeks now without any use of tools. I was wondering if I only need to run the SSD Optimizer when it's out or should I do a fresh install (with the HDDErase tool). After I install the new SSD Optimizer, will it know which files are actually deleted already?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you installed Windows 7 with BIOS set to AHCI and have not changed the default storage driver, msahci.sys, then you do not need to run optimizer or even install Toolbox if you have the TRIM firmware installed. Of course, you could use the Toolbox to check SMART and diagnostic work.

If you installed Windows 7 with a different storage driver, then you would need to run optimizer for TRIM--but you need TRIM firmware installed. There will be an updated firmware release in the future that will negate the need to run optimizer with storage drivers other than the default msahci in Windows 7.

There is no need to reinstall the OS as far as I can see from your posting.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

River wrote:

After I install the new SSD Optimizer, will it know which files are actually deleted already?

Yes it will. While trim will only clean up after new deletes. One exception being files left in the recycle bin. These will be trimmed when the bin is emptied.