cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall and switch to AHCI made it SLOW (160GB Gen2)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a strange problem.

I've installed my new Intel 160GB Gen2 SSD on IDE setup board. Installed Windows 7 64 Ultimate, patched to latest win update and installed Intel SSD Drive Toolbox. Running Optimizer then took like 1 minute. Boot up was so fast that windows logo couldn't even show to the end but would end on those circles coming together.

Then I've read I should be running AHCI, and not IDE.

I've reinstalled, reset to AHCI and now:

- my boot takes double

- SSD Toolbox Optimizer takes more than 15 minutes

- My AS SSD Bench and Crystal show sub-optimal performance:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1822/asssdbenchintelssdsa2m1b.png

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8806/58623050.jpg

My boot and shut down times are considerably slower...

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I do have System Restore ON - should I turn it off?

Still, I'm not sure why would system restore impact my benchmark results so much that my 4K write is so much below your result? - Microsoft (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx here) says: "Windows 7 requests the Trim operation for more than just file delete operations. The Trim operation is fully integrated with partition- and volume-level commands like Format and Delete, with file system commands relating to truncate and compression, and with the System Restore (aka Volume Snapshot) feature."

Should I RMA my drive? Is it a software error? Firmware error?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The accumulation of system restore points can slow down the process of running TRIM, so it is better to delete old restore points and keep just one, or turn off system restore and use another method for backing up.

I don't know what is affecting your 4K results. First of all, I don't know why you were running Optimizer when TRIM was working automatically! I just don't know what you have done or are doing. There are many things we can check and lots of pictures are needed.

I wouldn't say your SSD is defective. Here is an experiment you can try: Turn off system restore and delete all restore points; then, restart your computer, run Optimizer, and run AS SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I assume you have Disk Defragmenter turned off for your SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I do - it has been stopped as a service.

I did. Same results. TRIM runs in under a second now, but AS SSD bench is still the same.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, we are making some progress as now you have TRIM running faster, however, there is no need to use Optimizer with msahci in Windows 7.

I would like to see some pictures of what you have in Device Manager under Disk drives and IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers. Also, I would like to see a picture of what you have in Disk Management: right-click My Computer>select Manage>Disk Management.