cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Windows XP on a X25-M G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

due to some problems with a virus, I want to perform a reinstallation of my Windows XP. What is the best way to do this? Is it enough to quick format or complete format the drive in the setup? Or is better do perform a erase like with the HDD Erase tool? The start block of the partition is already align like in some forums written.

I don't want to loose "performance", so what do you suggest?

TIA, SD

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'd just reinstall to the same partition. If you want to go further, you could use a Vista or Win 7 DVD to boot and create the partition at the drive selection screen, then shut down and install XP.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, but why should I use Vista or Win7 to create the partition? The partition was already align und quick formated with another XP installation via diskpar before installing this Windows. So my XP is right now running on my SSD, but I'm not sure if the virus is gone (so far every av tool says it's fine). But as a precaution I just want to reinstall on this SSD.

The question is if it's enough to quick format on the setup screen of XP or do complete format or something else? Or maybe I should buy a new SSD? Maybe I'm just worried too much with this stuff.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I said that an install to the same partition would be fine. Quick format would do.

But, if you want to remove the partition or do some kind of erase, then you could use Vista or Win 7 to create the partition properly aligned. There may be other ways, but given all the DVDs of these OSes floating around, including betas and RCs, that's an easy way to do it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@SaltyDog,

Please let us know how the reformat goes and if it is successful.