cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback SSD to earlier Firmware?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all. I have an Intel X25-M 160GB SSD. I recently updated the SSD using the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox v3.1.2 and I am having serious problems with my SSD using this new firmware.

Where can I go to obtain earlier versions of firmware for my X25-M 160GB SSD at? I'd like to rollback the firmware on my SSD to an earlier version. Is this possible?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've never heard of anyone being able to (or needing to) change to an earlier firmware version on an Intel SSD. The methods used by Intel for firmware updates do not use separate firmware files and update program, so I really doubt that you can change to the earlier firmware.

Your problem may be related to a power issue with the SSD, and Windows. Do you know what Windows Power Plan you are using? The main thing to try is in the Advanced power plan settings, is setting "Shut off HDD" to Never. Let us know if that works for you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the response, parsec.

I have verified that my power options are set to "Performance" and that my HDDs are set to Never shut down. Unfortunately, I am still having the same problems as described above.

At this point, I'm starting to lean towards sending the warranty the SSD back to Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The X25-M G2 Intel SSDs have two firmware versions, the original is 2CV102HD, and the update as you know is 2CV102M3. Since the firmware you are interested in was not an update, it was never supplied in any update tool or as an individual file. So the chances of finding it, or even a way to change to it are zero IMO.

Your X58 board uses the Intel ICH10R SATA II chipset, which was a very well respected product, I've used several boards that had it and never had problems with it. As long as you are certain you are in AHCI mode now, you could try the following:

Check or replace the data cable, with replacing it the best option. Also check the power connection, as in removing the connector from the SSD and reinserting it.

The SSD Toolbox has two Diagnostic tests, you might as well run them and see if any problems have occurred.

A much more work intensive option it to secure erase the SSD with the Toolbox. That will COMPLETELY ERASE the contents of the drive, NEVER to be retrieved again!! You would need to back up the SSD completely, and restore it after the secure erase.

Ask yourself, are you absolutely certain that your issues started after the firmware update, and there was nothing else you did to the PC that might have caused it? An easy thing to overlook, I've done it many times.

Personally, I've used and still use several of the 80GB version of your SSD, with the new firmware, which has been available for going on two years, and they work fine. Your SSD may have other problems, and you can contact Intel support directly via the Support link at the bottom of this page.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Parsec.

Based on your last post, I have performed the following:

1. Replaced the SSD SATA data cable with a known-to-be-good cable

2. Ensured that the power connection is good and providing sufficient power to the SSD

3. Ran both diagnostic tests on the SSD using the Intel Toolbox

Unfortunately, I am still experiecing the same issues that I had before.

I am absolutely certain that these problems surface when I updated the firmware on the SSD. Fearing that it may have been a Microsoft update, I have restored the PC back to the original way it was prior to when I updated the firmware on the SSD to no avail.

The only remaining option that I have now is to try wiping the SSD and re-imaging a backup onto it. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again!

Hi Garetjax,

As mentioned earlier, we don't have a way to rollback the firmware.

Any luck with the new OS installation? Did that change your systems behavior?

Thanks.