cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Toolbox Optimize on 240GB Intel SSD 520 Results In BSOD

DWund
New Contributor

I've been using a 240GB Intel SSD 520 as my boot drive for about three weeks (Intel RSTe v3.5.1.1009). I have not had any problems with day to day operations and the AS SSD benchmark for the drive is about what I would expect it to be. Yesterday I attempted to optimize the drive using Intel SSD Toolbox v3.1.2. At 85% I got a BSOD that completely froze the system. I did a hard reboot and the system came up without an issue. All of the trim files created by SSD Toolbox were still on the drive. I deleted them manually and attempted to optimize the drive again. The result was the same. Except this time when I restarted the system the SSD boot drive could not be found. The second time I tried to turn the computer on the SSD drive was found and the system booted. I ran SSD Toolbox quick and full diagnostic scans and neither found a problem with the drive. I also ran optimize on an X25-M SSD drive I also have in my system and it completed without a problem.

Although the drive seems to be working fine, the fact that running optimize crashes the system has me concerned with its long-term reliability. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting the problem (or fixing it) would be greatly appreciated.

35 REPLIES 35

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am also having the same problem on a 120gb 520 drive. I am running RST 11.7.0.1013 drivers on windows 8 64 bit.

I have been having this problem for several weeks if not longer.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same problem here with an Intel SSD 520 240GB.

Intel SSD Optimizer stucked at 85%. (Toolbox 3.1.2)

After reboot, i had a blackscreen after Windows Logo disappeared.

The next reboot, all was fine.

Checkdisk didn't find problems.

Hi All,

We are looking into the issue you are reporting.

Are any of you using your drives in a RAID?

Are any of you using your drives in systems with non-Intel chipsets?

Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am using my 120GB Intel 520 SSD on a Dell Latitude e6400 (PM45 northbridge, 82801IEM ICH9M-E southbridge),

Dell BIOS A32.

Driver version is: RST 11.7.0.1013

OS: Windows 8, 64bit. Fully updated up to February 15, 2013.

The drive is not in a RAID.

I should note that the Bluescreen does not happen during the optimization process, but occurs within 1-2 minutes after completion.

This may be a related issue, but I am having difficulty hibernating the system with the 520 drive. Entering into hibernation fails 100% of attempts while the 520 drive is present in the system. This is regardless of RST driver versions, and also occurs under Windows 7. I have the exact same experience with two separate 520 drives. "Fast startup" on windows 8 also fails when shutting the computer down.

Mirroring and swapping the 520 drive to another non-intel HD alleviates the issues with hibernation and fast start-up.

Any ideas Ken?