cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Toolbox Optimize on 240GB Intel SSD 520 Results In BSOD

DWund
New Contributor

I've been using a 240GB Intel SSD 520 as my boot drive for about three weeks (Intel RSTe v3.5.1.1009). I have not had any problems with day to day operations and the AS SSD benchmark for the drive is about what I would expect it to be. Yesterday I attempted to optimize the drive using Intel SSD Toolbox v3.1.2. At 85% I got a BSOD that completely froze the system. I did a hard reboot and the system came up without an issue. All of the trim files created by SSD Toolbox were still on the drive. I deleted them manually and attempted to optimize the drive again. The result was the same. Except this time when I restarted the system the SSD boot drive could not be found. The second time I tried to turn the computer on the SSD drive was found and the system booted. I ran SSD Toolbox quick and full diagnostic scans and neither found a problem with the drive. I also ran optimize on an X25-M SSD drive I also have in my system and it completed without a problem.

Although the drive seems to be working fine, the fact that running optimize crashes the system has me concerned with its long-term reliability. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting the problem (or fixing it) would be greatly appreciated.

35 REPLIES 35

DWund
New Contributor

Ken,

The system is set to RAID in the BIOS. However the two SSDs in the system are not part of a RAID array. Four HDDs are in two RAID0 arrays.

Here are some additional details of the system:

Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme (BIOS Rev. 3404)

Processor: Intel i7 3930K

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual/Quad Channel DDR3-1866MHz (CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9)

SSD1: Intel SSD 520 (240GB) on SATA Port 0 (6Gb/s, Intel) (Boot)

SSD2: Intel X25-M (160GB) on SATA Port 1 (6Gb/s, Intel)

HDD Raid 0 Array 1: 2 Seagate 1.5TB Barracudas on SATA Ports 2 and 3 (3Gb/s, Intel)

HDD Raid 0 Array 2: 2 Seagate 2.0TB Barracudas on SATA Ports 4 and 5 (3Gb/s, Intel)

Optical Disk 1: LG BD-RE BH08LS20 on SATA Port 6 (3Gb/s, Asmedia)

Optical Disk 2: LG BD-RE BH12LS38 on SATA Port 7 (3Gb/s, Asmedia)

Graphics Card: ASUS Nvidia GTX 680 (4GB model)

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium

Power Supply: Antec 1000W HCP-1000

If I can provide any other information, let me know.

Cheers,

DarWun

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I also get BSOD's in RAID mode when trying to TRIM an SSD drive.

I have the DX79SI motherboard and two Intel 520 SSD's.

I have given up on getting any answers to this problem after 6 months of waiting. The x79 chipset will apparently be obsolete before this SNAFU will be solved - if ever. And by the way - forget about Smart Response for the x79. It was promised last year. Apparently socket 2011 support isn't high on Intels agenda.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same problem with the 520 240GB. Stuck ar 86% - then a system failure - but in Windows 8 which is not a BSOD, but a system failure page. Same thing.

I have lots of Intel SSD's. The 520 is the only model with this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RCram
New Contributor

This problem effects the 180 GB SSD 520 models.

Intel SSD Toolbox: 3.1.2

Intel 520 180 GB Firmware: LCSi

Intel RST: 11.7.0.1013

SSD is connected to the SATA III as my only internal drive. No RAID. Two external hard drives via USB 3 ports.

System: HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 Quad

CPU: Intel i7-3720QM four cores.

BIOS: Insyde F.24

I have own the PC for five months. Today after the scheduled SSD Optimizer ran, the PC did not respond to opening applications. The mouse moved, however when I clicked on an icon on the desktop about 1 or 2 minutes after the SSD Optimizer finished running, nothing happened.

Then all of my desktop icons disappeared along with the system taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Basically, I was staring at my wallpaper image. Then I started getting memory access violation errors and about another minute later BSOD which was unable to create a crash dump file. I had to hold the power button down and crash the PC.

No errors reported when I ran full diagnostics in the Intel SSD Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This may be a related issue, but I am having difficulty hibernating the system with the 520 drive. Entering into hibernation fails 100% of attempts while the 520 drive is present in the system. This is regardless of RST driver versions, and also occurs under Windows 7. I have the exact same experience with two separate 520 drives. "Fast startup" on windows 8 also fails when shutting the computer down.

Mirroring and swapping the 520 drive to another non-intel HD alleviates the issues with hibernation and fast start-up.

I have solved the hibernation issue by installing RST drivers 12.0.0.1082. The toolbox issue is still unresolved.

I must note my displeasure with Intel for discontinuing support of ICH9 with the latest v12 drivers, especially since the drivers fix an issue I have been having for 8 months. I have to use modified driver pack from a german forum to get the new drivers to install.