cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S3610 vs S4600

ACorb2
New Contributor

Hi to all.

I've seen that a new SSD model was released: S4600.

Is this the proper replacement model for S3610 ? Is S3610 dismissed ?

If I saw properly, these two models doesn't have the same specs, endurance for S4600 is a little bit lower (a little bit less than 3DWPD),

write speeds seems to be higher and read speed lower.

Am I missing something ?

As we have a bounch of S3610, should I buy and replace them with S4600 when needed ?

would be possible to know the exact blocks number for both model (480gb) ? In other words, would be possible to replace a S3610 with a S4600 in the same RAID array ? (blocks must be the same)

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi AlessandroCorbelli,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the confusion, the proper endurance information for the SSDs is the following as per our internal documentation: For the Intel® SSD Data Center S3610 480GB Series is 3 drive writes per day for the 5 year warranty period. It is equal to 3.7PB total for the 5 year warranty period. For the Intel® SSD DC S4600 Series 480GB is 3.36 drive writes per day for the 5 year warranty period. It is equal to 2.95PB total for the 5 year warranty period. The reason why the SSD has lower endurance is because the Intel® SSD DC S4600 Series 480GB does not have the High Endurance Technology(HET) that the Intel® SSD Data Center S3610 480GB has. You can check the comparison information https://ark.intel.com/compare/120522,82935 here.Our latest SSDs do not have the High Endurance Technology(HET) that the old ones have.Regards, Junior M.

ACorb2
New Contributor

Hi.

Is still unclear.

If endurance for S4600 480GB is 3.36 drive writes per day for 5 years, it should be 3.36*480GB*5*365 = 2943360 GB. More or less 2.95PB

S3610 480GB is 3 drive writes per day for 5 years, so: 3*480*5*365 = more or less 2.62PB

Why S3610 that has a lower endurance, is rated for an higher one ?

DWPD set the endurance. A lower DWPD means a lower endurance. It's impossible that a 3DWPD has an higher endurance than 3.3DWPD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi AlessandroCorbelli,

Thanks for the reply. We will check this information with our additional resources. We will keep you posted with any updates. Regards, Junior M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi AlessandroCorbelli,

The Intel® SSD Data Center S3610 Series is an MLC drive, which has a higher amount of P/E cycles than the Intel® SSD DC S4600 Series which is a TLC drive; this difference in technology is also noted in ARK.The "3 writes per day" number is based on JEDEC Standard JESD218, but if you pay close attention to section 2.6 (Reliability), you will notice that our spec clearly states that this drive can "meet or exceed" the standard's requirements.Keep in mind that Intel technologies' features and benefits depend on system configuration and may require enabled hardware, software or service activation.Regards, Junior M.