cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA 6 Question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am considering upgrading to the X-25 Extreme, but I need to know if I should wait for the SATA 6 implementation before spending this kind of money. It looks as if this may not be far off? I understand the speeds would be considerably greater? Do you think Intel can create a Driver change to older models should this take place?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just to clarify, there is no SATA 6 revision or "standard".

The current X-25E does not support the SATA 3 (6 Gb/sec) speeds. So your SATA 3 motherboard/southbridge would negociate a SATA 2 connection (3 Gb/sec) with the X-25E.

Various tech websites continue to show the X-25E as one of the fastest SSDs available, particularly under a heavy random workload.

So before making the plunge, I recommend you understand your workload. If you have a highly sequential workload (continuously movie editing or creating large image files constantly, for example), it may make sense for you to wait for a SATA 3 SSD. But under a typical client workload, it's doubtful that you would experience a noticeable difference in performance using a SATA 2 or SATA 3 SSD.

Also, if this SSD is for use in your home or work PC, an X-25E may be overkill, since it is intended for extreme usage situations like in servers. You may get better value with an MLC X-25M G2.

Hope that helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you NandFlashGuy