cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SB750 -(Confusion) Setting Up New X25-M/G2 02HA

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There seems to be allot of confusion around the Net about these drives in relation to performance and chipsets/settings etc...

Recently I purchased a New 80gb X25-m G2 02HA firmware drive. I plan to Install Win 7 on it.

My motherboard is an AM3 with the SB750 Chipset. Word is that the ATI's native SB750 drivers are not up to par in terms of reaching Max performance on the Intel SSD. Some are saying that it's Better to use the Microsoft AHCI* drivers for the SB750 rather the the AMD ones for better performance.

I am totally lost here, as there seems to be so many little different conflicting reports on what firmware to use etc... here is a list of points I hope somebody can clarify

-My drive came manufactured with Firmware 02HA(trim Support), should I update to Firmware 02HD(will this yield better performance)

-What SouthBridge Drivers Should I use for the my SB750, ATI or Microsoft

-What Speeds Should I be looking to Achieve when benchmarking the Drive in order to determine if it's running to Spec

-What settings or Modifications do I need to make to prepare WIN7 Installation, what about Cluster Size

-is over-provisioning mandatory for maintaining drive performance

-any guides for Win7 SSD tweaks

-Is there any other important information that I am missing?

Please if anyone can any these questions I would be very greatful

4 REPLIES 4

SKlin
New Contributor

I have a MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 mb and I used the ATI drivers. They released a new Southbridge750 drive in October and for me it runs my Intel X-25M G2 80g faster than the MS driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ATI AHCI drivers do not support the Automatic TRIM feature, which means that your drive will get slower over time. Plus you can't run the Intel tool box Optimizer since it does not work with the ATI AHCI driver. The Only option is to use the MS AHCI drivers when dealing with AMD chipsets.

SKlin
New Contributor

Funny thing is that when I check to see if Trim is running it says it is with the ATI drivers. Where does it say the ATI AHCI driver does not support the automatic trim feature.

SKlin
New Contributor

I did re-install the MS drivers and now the Intel optimizer works without changing back to IDE