cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART data reading from Intel NVMe PCIe P3700 series SSD

RShar23
New Contributor II

I want to use Intel P3700 series NVMe PCIe SSD to read SMART attributes exposed by the device using our user land customized tool. The device will be placed on Gen 3.0 x4 motherboard having linux as OS (kernel 3.13) and RAM 4GB.

Please suggest if any other requirements are needed to read SMART data out of Intel P3700 series SSD.

11 REPLIES 11

RShar23
New Contributor II

aleki_intel,

Thanks for the information.

Can we use Intel P3500 series SSD on PCIe Gen 2.0 motherboard ? We don't want to write any heavy data on drive and just wanted to use drive to read SMART attributes using our utility based on nvme to read SMART attributes form nvme device.When our budget issues get resolved then will look forward to buy PCIe Gen 3.0 motherboards. But currently we have PCIe Gen 2.0 motherboard.

Our Base Board Information

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product Name: 03NVJ6

Version: A01

Serial Number: ..CN7360406E040I.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

ravish165,

The Intel® SSD DC P3500 Series was designed to meet the standards available in the market: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-p3500-seri... Intel® Solid-State Drive DC P3500. The drive may show degraded performance if plugged into a slot that is not PCIe Gen 3.0. Check on page # 6 of this online document: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23929/eng/Intel%20SSD%20Data%20Center%20Family%20for%20PCIe%20Instal... Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Family for PCIe* P3700, P3600 and P3500 Series Installation Guide- Please, also consult with the motherboard manufacturer for further assistance.We hope this information helped you.

RShar23
New Contributor II

aleki_intel,

Thanks for the information and documents.

From the documents I understood that intel p3500 ssd will be backward compatible with PCIe Gen 2.0 card slots.

Kindly confirm so that we can go ahead and purchase.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

ravish165,

The Intel® SSD DC P3500 Series may work as a data drive when connected to a PCIe Gen 2 slot as long as the system complies with the requirements. It is explained in the installation guide document provided before. I would like to mention that some older systems may not work with the NVMe* drive connected. There may be a resource conflict. If you intend to you a server chipset with PCIe 2.0 then the SSD may have no conflict. Remember to always consult with the board manufacturer for further assistance as well.

RShar23
New Contributor II

aleki_intel,

We have hp proliant server (HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 7 (G7) ) having Intel® 5520 Chipset with 16GB RAM .On that can we connect intel p3500 ssd?

Any hardware or software changes needs to be done to use ssd on proliant server?

Can we connect intel 750 series nvme ssd if p3500 ssd is not compatible with proliant server?