cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 510 Series Drive Access Lockup

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am seeing some odd behavior with my SSDSC2MH250A2 drives. I have two of these connected to my DX58SO2 motherboard. What was happening was that access to my second SSD drive would cause Windows to freeze. The OS itself would hang while trying to access to drive. I was not sure what was causing this, and I thought I had defective hardware at first.

I had to hold down the power button due to some of these freezes. After doing this, I ran a chkdsk /f for both drives followed by rebooting to ensure the file system was intact. My second SSD drive was even freezeing or extremely slow during the chkdsk. I had to hold down the power button during one chkdsk after it reported unexpected errors.

I ran Intel's SSD Toolbox followed by running the SSD Optimizer for both drives. After doing this, the freezing issues seemed to have stopped. Here is where I am confused though-- I am running Windows 7 Professional, and the Intel PDFs I have read stated that the functionality of the SSD Optimizer is built into Windows 7. This leads me to believe I should not need to run the optimizer.

I do not understand why the SSD drives would cause the OS to hang after about three weeks of use. I can find no firmware updates for the 510 series at all.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Both drives are running the PWG4 firmware and are only a few weeks old. I do not see that either drive is being switched from SATA600. SiSoft Sandra is showing SATA600 for both drives.

I am wondering if it is due to the buggy Motorolla Bluetooth drivers that Intel has on the download center for my mobo. I have uninstalled it and rebooted. The issue of Windows 7 freezeing I just described above was during an attempt to copy 22 MP3 files I had downloaded from Stream. Windows would lockup everytime I attempted to copy the files, which is why I suspect the Bluetooth drivers. Motorolla's drivers are poor and cause Microsoft Word to crash.

You know what -- I think it was the buggy Motorolla drivers in this case. I am now able to browse the folder containing the 22 MP3 files with zero delay. Before I had uninstalled it, I could only see id3 tag info for like 2 out of 22 files when explorer would hang followed by Windows freezing.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

These are the drivers I downloaded from Intel's download center for my DX58SO2: Bluetooth_allOS_3.0.2.285_PV_MSI.exe

These drivers are buggy and cause all kinds of issues.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD drive is still locking Windows up even without the Motorolla drivers installed. It is fine for awhile after the system is booted, but after about two hours, accessing the drive results in Windows hanging. The caps lock key causes the keyboard to light, but control-alt-delete is very slow to respond (like about three minutes until I see the blue screen with options). I tried control-alt-delete, waited three minutes for the menu to appear, then clicked task manager. I am now back at a loading screen not seeing the task manager at all. Control-alt-delete is no longer working, and my computer is stuck. The caps lock key is still working though, but nothing else in Windows does.

This is really poor. I really cannot use my computer to run anything else for diagnostics. It's stuck.

Addition: okay -- after a longer wait, I finally got the blue screen with menu choices from pressing control-alt-delete. I selected task manager once again, and now I am back at the desktop. The desktop is frozen though and not responding to mouse clicks. At this point, I usually have to hold down the power button to shut off the machine. There is nothing else I can do. I think I will wait it out and let it sit this time. It seems to do things very slowly while the drive is inaccessible.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After an extremely long time (over an hour), I was able to logoff Windows 7 then shutdown the computer. Powering the computer back on, I am now posting info from the Event Viewer:

Windows Logs:

System:

Level: Error; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 10:37:48 AM; Source: atapi; Event ID: 11; Task Category: NoneGeneral: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4.(there are six of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Error; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 10:46:53 AM; Source: atapi; Event ID: 11; Task Category: None

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort5.(there are three of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Error; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:08:34 AM; Source: Service Control Manager; Event ID: 7011; Task Category: None

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the syncagentsrv service.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:10:04 AM; Source: Ntfs; Event ID: 57; Task Category: (2)

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.(there are two of these messages with almost all the same info as above; the date and time is off by seconds)

Level: Error; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:22 AM; Source: atapi; Event ID: 9; Task Category: None

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort5, did not respond within the timeout period.(there are four of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Error; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:22 AM; Source: Kernel-General; Event ID: 6; Task Category: None

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE'.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:22 AM; Source: Disk; Event ID: 51; Task Category: None

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.(there are four of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:22 AM; Source: Ntfs; Event ID: 57; Task Category: (2)

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:22 AM; Source: Disk; Event ID: 51; Task Category: None

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.(there are five of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:23 AM; Source: Application Popup; Event ID: 26; Task Category: None

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Exception Processing Message 0xc0000222 Parameters 0x000007FEFDB6718C 0x000007FEFDB6718C 0x000007FEFDB6718C 0x000007FEFDB6718C

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:23 AM; Source: Ntfs; Event ID: 57; Task Category: (2)

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:46:23 AM; Source: Ntfs; Event ID: 50; Task Category: None

The description for Event ID 50 from source Ntfs cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.The following information was included with the event: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Games\Steam\GameOverlayRenderer.logthe message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:49:23 AM; Source: USER32; Event ID: 1074; Task Category: None

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be foundReason Code: 0x500ffShutdown Type: power offComment:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows Logs:

Application:

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 10:55:16 AM; Source: Winsrv; Event ID: 10001; Task Category: NoneThe following application attempted to veto the shutdown: schedhlp.exe.

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:01:00 AM; Source: Winsrv; Event ID: 10002; Task Category: None

The following application was terminated because it was hung: ClashOfHeroes.exe.

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:01:04 AM; Source: Winsrv; Event ID: 10002; Task Category: None

The following application was terminated because it was hung: explorer.exe.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:02:05 AM; Source: WinLogon; Event ID: 6005; Task Category: None

The winlogon notification subscriber is taking long time to handle the notification event (EndShell).

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:03:01 AM; Source: WinLogon; Event ID: 6006; Task Category: None

The winlogon notification subscriber took 116 second(s) to handle the notification event (EndShell).

Level: Information; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:03:01 AM; Source: Windows Error Reporting; Event ID: 1001; Task Category: None

Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: MpTelemetryResponse: Not availableCab Id: 0Problem signature:P1: Microsoft Security Essentials (EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094)P2: 3.0.8402.0P3: TimeOutP4: 1.1.7702.0P5: fixedP6: 8 / 2049+P7: 5 / not bootP8: P9: P10: Attached files:C:\Windows\Temp\MPInstrumentation\client_manifest.txtThese files may be available here:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Securi_fb7ef137b9fc95f8461ffeb8533e3eb9ddc817c_cab_0439013aAnalysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0Report Id: 9d9d1b92-e786-11e0-b84c-6c626d1c7eb7Report Status: 4(there are two of these messages with the same info as above)

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:04:03 AM; Source: WinLogon; Event ID: 6005; Task Category: None

The winlogon notification subscriber is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logoff).

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:08:04 AM; Source: EventSystem; Event ID: 4627; Task Category: Firing Agent

The COM+ Event System timed out attempting to fire the Logoff method on event class {D5978630-5B9F-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E} for publisher and subscriber . The subscriber failed to respond within 180 seconds. The display name of the subscription is "Explorer". The HRESULT was 800705b4.

Level: Warning; Date and Time: 9/25/2011 11:08:04 AM; Source: WinLogon; Event ID: 6006; Task Category: None

The winlogon notification subscriber took 300 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logoff).