cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 510 Series Drive Access Lockup

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am seeing some odd behavior with my SSDSC2MH250A2 drives. I have two of these connected to my DX58SO2 motherboard. What was happening was that access to my second SSD drive would cause Windows to freeze. The OS itself would hang while trying to access to drive. I was not sure what was causing this, and I thought I had defective hardware at first.

I had to hold down the power button due to some of these freezes. After doing this, I ran a chkdsk /f for both drives followed by rebooting to ensure the file system was intact. My second SSD drive was even freezeing or extremely slow during the chkdsk. I had to hold down the power button during one chkdsk after it reported unexpected errors.

I ran Intel's SSD Toolbox followed by running the SSD Optimizer for both drives. After doing this, the freezing issues seemed to have stopped. Here is where I am confused though-- I am running Windows 7 Professional, and the Intel PDFs I have read stated that the functionality of the SSD Optimizer is built into Windows 7. This leads me to believe I should not need to run the optimizer.

I do not understand why the SSD drives would cause the OS to hang after about three weeks of use. I can find no firmware updates for the 510 series at all.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD Toolbox's full scan never got beyond 72%. It would completely freeze (along with Windows) then resume moments later. Windows ended up rebooting itself.

There were no additional details in the Event Viewer in regards to the reboot other than what I alreadly posted above. There were bunches of 3GB txt files on the root of my 😧 drive created by the SSD Toolbox. The files were huge that I did not have a chance to open. When I re-opened the SSD Toolbox, it deleted all the files.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is an FYI for others experiencing failures with this SSD drive.

So I took my desktop back to the shop who built it. I explained the failures with the second SSD drive to the tech who built it. He hooked up the desktop and powered it on. I logged into Windows and ran the SSD Utility. I then ran the full diagnostic for the 😧 drive. It got beyond 72% and started on a second pass that I never saw before. It looked like it was going to work.. I was puzzled, but I remembered that the failures would happen around two hours after usage. What I did was cancel that test then run 3DMark11. I ran all test and set it to loop on extreme at 1024x768. I ran through all these test then stopped it at pass # 2. Secondly, I used TeraCopy to copy all files from C:\Windows to the 😧 drive. I also copied the eclipse folder to my 😧 drive. This is over 20GB of data. Last, I ran CHKDSK /F on both the C: drive then the 😧 drive. I then rebooted the computer.. CHKDSK started with the 😧 drive and it hung. I brought the tech back over to show the issue. It was at 0% for several minutes, which is abnormal for the first test. I explained that what would eventually happen is it would continue to hang for a very long time followed by showing read errors. After this happens, the Intel diagnostics would also fail after recycling the computer.. The shop has support with Intel, so someone should be able to figure out the failure with this SSD drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for continuing to publish your issues with this drive and attempts to fix them. I'm looking forward to any response you might get from your repair guy.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I got my desktop back. As suggested previously in this thread, the tech used two different SATA cables. I ran the same test prior to taking it home, and it passed.

I deleted the partitions from both SSDs, reformatted, and am reinstalling Windows and all software. One thing I noticed is that the Windows 7 experience index has now changed from 7.8 to 7.9 for the primary hard disk.

After everything is reinstalled, I will know if it is stable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an Intel 510 SSD 120GB and it randomly locks up, very similar to what you have described.

In the last 6 months, I had 48 improper shutdowns logged by the SSD. It would help me greatly to find out what was done to fix your problems so I can look into mine.

I have changed 3 different types of SATA3 cables already, ones that came with the Intel SSD made by Amphenol, ones that came with the Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, and ones I purchased from Vizo.

i7-2600 w/ Thermalright Archon

Asus P8P67 Pro2 X Asus GTX460 DCU TOP 1GB4 X 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 1.5vIntel 510 SSD 120GBHitachi 7K3000 HDD 1.5TBCoolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W