cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 510 series stuttering

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi everbody,

I have purchased intel SSD 510 series 120GB one week ago and it causes stuttering on a Sabertooth x58, intel i7, connected to ICHR10R port, running Windows xp64 professional. The stuttering starts to apear about after 24 - to 36 hours of operation, but causes no BSOD screen. Following the stutering I started up the Intel toolbox version 3. which indicates a read error with message " please contact your sales rep...". Once random stuttering starts it becomes more frequent, until total freeze. Followng re-boot results in a "read disk" error. Therefor I can even not start Windows anymore. What helped is a complete power disconnect of the SSD drive for about 30 secondes. Following that I could get Windwows and the Intel SSD Toolox 3. started again and I could run optimizing and quick and full scans, which passed at 100%. But stuttering appeared again after about 36 hours of operation, with the same course of actions and the toolbox 3 toolbox quick diagnostic scan indicating a read error. In conclusion, error is clearly reproducible on the hardware indicated, even if stuttering starts to appear randomenly. Does anybody have same experience with the hardware combination Sabertooth x58, intel i7, ICHR10R and Intel SSD serie 510 120GB? Is there any solution out of this nightmare? Thanks in advance for help. MovieMaker, hj
2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had similar issue before. My SSD would suddenly be stuck in read and none of the program will respond and eventually lead to BSOD.

Please use the Intel SSD Toolbox to do a full scan of the SSD. If the scan fails to finish, it is most likely caused by a corrupted section on the SSD. You can also use HDTune Pro to run a scan for bad sectors.

I fixed my issue using a full secure erase and the sector no longer shown as bad. Otherwise, send it in for repair/replacement.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi everybody,

Good news, in the meantime the problem has been resolved and I like to post the solution as it could be helpful for others.

The issue is related to the combination of tusing the Sabertooth x58, ICHA10 Controller and Intel SSD 510 series.

Once I did disable the LPM from Intel in the Windows Registery my SSD got stable (now for almost 7 days)

here after note and instructions from Intel.

Link Power Management with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology implements the Link power management (LPM) feature described by the Serial ATA specification to overcome the power demand of a high-speed serial interface, SATA and providing the capability of SATA at the minimum power cost. LPM, when used in conjunction with a SATA hard drive that supports this feature, enables lower power consumption. LPM was initially enabled by default on mobile platforms starting with ICH6M with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager. Starting with ICH9R this feature has also been supported on desktop platforms with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 7.5 release but not enabled by default. Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, LPM support is enabled by default on both mobile and desktop platforms. OEM's who wish to modify the default settings for LPM on their platforms can follow the instructions in the following section(s).

Instructions to disable/enable LPM

After system is setup with OS and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology installed, follow the below instructions to modify the default LPM support.

NOTE: Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, the registry keys are no longer populated in the Windows registry by default. The RST driver does not require the registry keys to be present to support the default settings.

1. Go to Start->Run

2. Type in RegEdit and hit the Enter Key.3. Go to the below mentioned location to insert or configure the registry keys for LPMNOTE: OEM's need to configure the LPM settings by port. Ports are numbered starting with zero (please refer the desired platform EDS for the number of ports supported on that platform)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parame

ters\Port0\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parameters\Port1\…HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parameters\Port5\

4. Now add the following registry keys under the registry location mentioned in step3, if they are not available (These registry keys are not available by default, they can be added by using utomated scripts, .reg files, executable utilities, etc). If you find the below registry keys already available, you can modify the values for desired support. Values are modified on a port by port basis so modify all ports that you wish the changes to be supported on. **

"LPM"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]

"LPMSTATE"=dword: 00000000 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Disabled] (Note: the driver ignores this key when the LPM key'svalue is not set to 1. So when LPM value is 0, this value is N/A.)"LPMDSTATE"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Enabled]"DIPM"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]