cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 520 high activity

AVegh
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing strange behaviour of my SSD 520 (120GB) in Lenovo Thinkpad T61. The first time I realized it was running with W7: sometimes (without any presage) the disk activity highs up to 100% while 2nd drive (hdd) is idle. The drive overload usually lasts about 10-30 seconds. While it is in peak period sometimes the computer does not response for any inputs (clicking, typing) Another time it lets me to change windows, listening music etc. but cancels some other activities (loading browser pages, typing). It is very very annoying. I tried with/without factory drivers but no affect. After this I made a clean install of W8.1. The drive overload happend significantly rare, but it was still there:

• no task/process/service is running
  • disk usage is 100% for 10-30 seconds
  • often computer can't response

After the peak time, everything is good. I also tried W10 but no change. For a final attempt today morning I started the W10 installation after I removed the other HDD/ODD from the UltraBay drive preventing Windows to install any unnecessary controller drivers. And God can see my soul: the drive overload still happened exactly in the time when W10 installation was in finishing phase.

What should I do ? The drive is still under warranty (S/N: CVCV430003K3120BGN) Intel SSD Toolbox says the drive has perfect condition. Is there any other diagnostic tool ?

11 REPLIES 11

AVegh
New Contributor II

Dear aleki,

please see the embedded pictures for the result of diagnostic scans.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello Vegha,

Please do the following:

1 - Check for BIOS updates

2 - Check if your SSD has the latest firmware.

If the issue still persists after you updated it, please send us the SSD logs.

AVegh
New Contributor II

Hi aleki,

1; I already checked the current status of my computer's BIOS, it is the newest.

2; As you can see in the screenshots I posted earlier the SSD has the latest firmware.

So finally, before I send back the drive as a warranty issue what SSD logs do you need ? I already posted the SMART logs.

ZAlex
New Contributor

I have exactly the same problem:

• Running clean install of W10 on Lenovo X230T
  • Lastest SDD Firmware
  • Disk usage is jumps to 100% for at least 20 seconds or until the PC freezes
  • Most times it let´s me to change windows, listening music etc. but cancels some other activities (loading browser pages, typing, skype, win-key) just like Vegha. If the PC freezes, I get a BSOD with "Critical Process Died" or some Storage error.
  • Other times the PC continue to work as usual after 20 seconds.

AVegh
New Contributor II

hey ZeusAlex,

glad to see that not I am the only one in the world having this problem.

After 1 boring month waiting for any useful tip or help from Intel, on next week I'm going to send back the drive to the manufacturer for further analysis. I don't know if they have the possibility to test the drive under the conditions like I am using it now to reproduce the problem.