Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

SSD 540s firmware update failure

FWest1
Novice

Hello,

I tried to update the firmware of an Intel SSD 540s to LSF031C. The Intel firmware update tool (issdfut_2.1.3.iso) was run from a bootable USB flash drive.

The firmware update tool gave this firmware update failure message:

"The Intel SATA Firmware Update did not complete. Please try the following:

1) Disable the drive password in the computer's BIOS

2) Enable SMART features in the computer's BIOS

3) Enable legacy IDE mode in the comuter's BIOS"

# 1: There is no drive password set in the BIOS.

# 2: I couldn't find any reference to SMART in the BIOS. I know however that SMART is enabled, since SMART data is shown in the Intel SSD Toolbox program (Win7).

# 3: The drive boot mode is set to Legacy in the BIOS, but it's unclear to me if this is "legacy IDE mode".

The 540s SSD is in an Intel NUC5PPYH.

Current SSD Firmware: LSBG200

SSD FUT: 2.1.3

NUC Visual BIOS: 2.2.20

Would you try to update the firmware at all, given this https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00053&languageid=en-fr vhttps://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00053&languageid=en-fr ulnerability report?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

62 Replies
SReuv1
Beginner

The steps are i downloaded the iso and made usb disk with the update, then i tryed to update and it failed , then restarted and the disk wasnt recognized by the bios, i tryed connect it to diffrent computer still no luck , tryed few times and its not recognized so i couldnt wait and i took it to the place i bought it to see if they can load the previous firmware or just giving me a new one , no luck so far ,

sorry no screenshot drive is dead ..

0 Kudos
SReuv1
Beginner

just return it to the seller ,

intel doesnt provide any help to solve this problem .

i added some money and took samsung evo drive instead ,

so far so good drive workin perfectly without problems..

0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

Unfortunately for me, v2.1.5 still won't update my 540s 240GB using the USB or CD method so I'm still on the original LSBG200 FW.

I'm using an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard with the latest BIOS and even tried updating using a different PC and still got the crash. I have 2 weeks to return this drive and will if I can't resolve this update issue, please advise.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

540s,

Could you please check if your BIOS is setup as legacy mode? We have noticed the FUT only runs in legacy boot mode.

Also, if there is an option for fast boot, please disable it.

We do recommend to check the PDF that comes with the ZIP file in the download center, it will give you instructions of what program to use in order to properly setup the image.

We will be waiting for your response.

NC
0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

Could you please check if your BIOS is setup as legacy mode? We have noticed the FUT only runs in legacy boot mode.

Also, if there is an option for fast boot, please disable it.

I don't seem to have a clear option to do that from the boot section in my BIOS. I have been scouring every option imaginable and rebooted under multiple configurations numerous times. Fast boot is disabled.

ftp://asrock.cn/manual/z77%20extreme4.pdf

We do recommend to check the PDF that comes with the ZIP file in the download center, it will give you instructions of what program to use in order to properly setup the image.

Yes. this was followed explicitly in preparing the CD as well as the USB image.

I've been flashing firmware for 15 plus years and have never had a problem until now.

0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

*Update

I just tried the 540s in an Asrock 970de3/u3s3 motherboard which does not use UEFI and got the same error/freeze in the pic.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

540s,

We have tried several configurations and it worked fine. We suggest you to maybe try different programs to burn the image as we don't currently have any reports of the ISO not been running fine.

Please try https://rufus.akeo.ie/ Rufus* or http://www.isotousb.com/ ISO to USB* and let us know if it works.

NC
0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

Well I have now used Universal USB Installer as instructed in the PDF, Rufus, ISO to USB as well as the basic ISO to USB program that that I have on a Linux Mint machine to create the boot image on 3 different USB drives of various manufacturers. I have now tried updating on a third PC using an Asus A8N5X motherboard, I don't know how much more 'Legacy' I can get. At this point it seems to be approaching ridiculousness to put more time into getting something to work that should 'just' work.

In the latest attempt in the Asus board, the unpacking linux verbage appears in the screen, the screen flashes black, it looks like a new screen is attempting to be drawn, then it halts, closes and displays the following:

"we don't currently have any reports of the ISO not been running fine."

Based on all my time and effort to report here and not return this drive to the store, I would disagree.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

540s,

We would like to verify if by any chance do you have this drive connected directly to the SATA port in the motherboard? or do you have a RAID controller where you plug it in?

This because the FUT may not detect the drive if it is not connected directly to the SATA port, we have done a lot of testing in our systems and it works just fine.

We will be waiting for your response.

NC
0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

NC,

No RAID involved in any scenario. SSD has been plugged directly into all motherboards, visible and detected by the BIOS in all three machines I've tried.

It seems like the GUI is about to launch in 2/3 motherboards and then a draw sequence halts to the posted illegal instruction/error screen.

540s

0 Kudos
YYang41
Beginner

Hi,

You can try to burn the FUT.iso into a CD-ROM by a CD drive. The universal USB installer does not work for me too. So I just right click the .iso file and burn the image into a blank CD. This works for me. You can have a try. Good luck!

0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I did try the CD rout you mentioned only to get the same result as the USB.

It's kinda maddening at this point and I should probably just go a different direction with the whole thing but I don't like to give up when obstacles present themselves like this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

540s,

That is pretty strange as we have tested several systems and also got confirmation of different users successfully installing the update. We will suggest to please contact our http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_ssd_ww_english_Chat Chat Support Department for further assistance on this situation or also by https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US e-mail.

Please let us know.

NC
0 Kudos
DSobo1
Beginner

Dear friends,

I have a 540s SSD, GA-Z68XP-UD4 (rev. 1.3) MB and Geforce GTX 960 PCI-E VGA.

I used both usb and CD methods of firmware update and encountered the same issues.

In AHCI mode of SATA3 port the firmware programm does not load from the CD. It might have something to do with the fact that it is Linux based (I also tried updating Linux based firmware on my Crucial SSD in the same system and it also did not load).

When I changed in BIOS SATA3 port mode to IDE and disabled native support (so it operated in legacy IDE mode) the 540s firmware loaded (showed various line about Linux), but when it should have shown the license agreement GUI there was just a black screen. Oddly enough, the Crucial SSD firmware successfully updated with the same settings.

Then I turned off the system, remuved the GTX 960 and plugged my monitor to the MB onboard graphics. The 540s firmware loaded, showed the license agreement GUI and successfully completed. It appears, that Intel SSD firmware works only in IDE mode of SATA port and does not support PCI-E graphic cards.

After the update I installed back the GTX 960 and switched SATA back to AHCI and SSD worked just fine.

So, to use the firmware you need:

1) In your MB BIOS set the SATA port mode to IDE (in legacy mode); and

2) Plug your monitor to the MB onboard graphics port (or, perhaps, use a non-PCI-E graphic card).

Hope this helps everybody on this thread who have issues with Intel SSD firmware update tool 2.1.5.

idata
Employee

Thank you so much @DimSA !!!!!

Can confirm that DimSA's solution initialized the Firmware boot update in my computer. All i have to do is remove my GTX 980TI GPU and plug my monitor to the MB onboard graphics DVI port.

0 Kudos
GRO
Beginner

The instructions from the PDF provided by Intel are useless, I followed them and the PC didn't boot from the USB memory stick that I had created with "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.6"

So I downloaded https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.10.exe Rufus 2.10 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18363/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool issdfut_2.1.5.iso (is the second file from the left list)

1) Open Rufus and just click on Browse, select issdfut_2.1.5.iso from your PC

2) Click on Start

3) In the new window that will appear, leave thicked "• Write in ISO Image mode (Recommended)" and click OK

4) You will get a WARNING window, click OK.

I got a Gigabyte H87-HD3, in BIOS Settings, on SATA Mode, leave the default option (AHCI), don't change it to IDE, because the update tool won't recognise your SSD.

Also, on "Boot options" just change every option from UEFI to Legacy Only

After that just boot from the USB, and follow the onscreen instructions.

On the end you will receive a message that it will ask you to reboot your PC, to do that, exit the Inte Update Utility, choose Shutdown, and hit the power button from your PC case.

If the update was successfully you will see this version in Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox: Firmware Version: LSF036C

Buy me a beer Intel for writting this tutorial!

0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

I'd gladly buy you two beers if that worked for me. In all situations I have tried, I get the error/crash just as the GUI tries to draw itself. UEFI didn't even exist yet in one of the ASUS boards I tried it in.

I have posted two screen shots of the crash and have not seen Intel respond to any of that info as of yet.

It certainly is interesting to see that you can't get the Intel installer to work for you though either.

It's looking like the drive will be returned this week sometime.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gumball3000.ro,

Thanks for providing help on this situation, very clear.

540s,

As you can see, the update does work for so many people, we are not sure as to why it cannot be performed in your setup, but, surely is not the drive or the image. We have provided all kind of assistance and tips but for you it seems not to be working.

NC
0 Kudos
kb71
Beginner

NC,

Is there any useful data in the two screen shots I provided?

Like the part about:

"illegal instruction" or "invalid argument (22)" or "connection to X server lost"

I've been waiting to hear your take on the screen shots I provided since I posted them.

540s

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

540s,

Actually yes, we are deeply checking on this matter with our software team, regardless the update worked for so many customers, we would like to try to understand what is happening in your case, with the help of the screenshot you provided.

As soon as we have news we will be posting here.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
DFoom
Beginner

540s,

1. Did you try re-downloading the ISO? the download could be corrupt because you tried it on multiple motherboards. A corrupt ISO would be the only common variable between boards.

2. Did you set ALL sata controllers to IDE MODE? some boards have multiple controllers.

- I successfully updated my 540s with a gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h rev 1.0 with SATA controller set to IDE MODE with ISO burned to CDrom.

0 Kudos