cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 730 showing incorrect capacity (by half!)

JDang4
New Contributor

I just installed an SSD 730 240 GB into my new build. I cloned a prior 120 GB SSD drive using CloneZilla.

For some reason the drive is appearing to Windows 10 as a 120 GB drive even though it is a 240 GB.

Here is a screenshot showing Disk Manager and the Intel SSD toolbox.

Hope someone can help.

https://i.imgur.com/hpUlN0t.png https://i.imgur.com/hpUlN0t.png

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello PilotJeff,

The Model number and ISN indicate that this is an Intel® SSD 730 Series 240 GB. Please take into consideration that the capacity available to the user can be modified with 3rd party tools, however, this type of changes are not supported by Intel.

For more information, please provide the following details:

- Check the drive details shown in the PC BIOS

- Was the drive detected as a 240 Gb drive at any point?- Is this a new drive?- Which was the process used to clone the drive?

PC Bios shows as 240 GB

Brand New drive

Cloned using Clonezilla which simply uses standard partitioning software to copy and partition the drive.

Drive shows as a basic drive, with a few partitions as shown in that screenshot. The free space which should be on there does not show up for some reason.

I can try imaging the drive and reformatting but this is strange.

TYan3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Apparently you cloned it in some full disk block to block way (dd-ish), instead of creating a suitable GPT and clone the filesystems one by one with partclone/ntfsclone instead (and resize "C:" with ntfsresize).

You can at best see extra space at the end of the disk this way, if the drive has MBR/MSDOS Partition Table. In your case it looks like it's GPT, and with the way you do the cloning, I doubt that CloneZilla would put the backup GPT at the end of the new drive instead of right after the last partition (this is the right thing to do anyway). This could be the reason preventing Windows from showing you the extra space in any form.

If you have a Linux live medium, try to check the new disk with fdisk/gdisk and create a new partition table and partition (WITHOUT actually writing to the disk) to see if you can utilize the maximum size. If you can, then my theory is probably right.