cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 750 PCI-E & X79.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good evening! I have a question concerning support for SSD 750 PCI-Ex motherboard chipset X79. Not so long ago I was thinking about buying this card (SATA - is not seen as outdated and resembles an echo IDE), as the current software requires a radical solution for speed and other things, but Googling forums, I realized that X79 motherboards are not included in the support this device and work as a boot device it will not be (((. The question is - the X99 chipset so different from the X79? built-in support USB3?

Frankly speaking I do not feel the need to go to the X79 X99 for a few% performance increase. What is the problem that the literary manager for chipsets only support 9* Series? It is not the desire to Intel or me (us PC users) should apply to the producers of our boards requesting the release of UEFI-BIOS with support NVMe and drives them? Or is it some kind of hardware problem?

26 REPLIES 26

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello XORROR,

There are many factors to consider when comparing performance values between SSDs. I am not entirely sure I understood your question, but here are some pointers about this topic:

- The Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series is a Data Center driver, meant to be used in Enterprise systems, it has additional hardware components for enhanced reliability and performance. The Intel® SSD 750 Series is considered a consumer device and does not have some of the features provided by the P3700. In most situations the P3700 will perform better than the 750 series.

- When you compare performance, always compare similar values, for example:

Sequential test results are measured in MB/s (Megabytes per second), Random test results are expressed in IOPS (Input-output operations per second).

Sequential tests normally use 128 KB transfer size, Random tests use 4 KB or 8 KB transfer size.

Drives of the same family but with different capacity will normally have different performance ratings.

You will find a lot of useful information in the following document as it explains the benchmarking principles and how it can be measured:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035497.htm?wapkw=ssd+performance Intel® SSD 750 Series - Performance Evaluation Guide

You can check performance data for the drives in the product specifications: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-p3700-spec... Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf Intel® SSD 750 Series.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Huge thank you Jonathan! I will read at your leisure!

The main question was why so much different speed/read (MB/s) and writing large files. As I understand from your answer in case additional hardware.

YCHEN102
New Contributor

Hello Jonathan!

I have a question about can intel750 be installed in HP360G7?

Thanks

HP added NVMe support only with Gen9 of their server platforms.

YCHEN102
New Contributor

I just want to store my mariadb database in intel 750.

Can i do such like this:mount /var/lib/mysql ?