Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

SSD 750 after 2 years, estimated remaining life is only 13%? Is it already dying?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have Intel PCIe SSD 750 that I have been using it for about 2 years now. I recently noticed that estimated remaining life, according to Toolbox, is only 13%. Is this mean mean my SSD is getting near to its end? So far, SMART hasn't shown any error. However, I noticed it's showing NAND Bytes Written is already over 630TB. Please see the attached log file from Toolbox. I'm not using it for any high workload, just a typical home PC, web browsing, email, gaming, occasional photo and video editing.

Is this serious enough that I should get my drive replaced under warranty or just ignore it? SSD should last many years. Does it look like there is something wrong with my SSD?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

A couple days ago windows all of sudden became unbootable. I spent nearly 10 hours trying absolutely everything from recovery features to command prompt and partition attempting to get Windows to boot again, but my PC just wouldn't detect 750 as bootable drive any more. After I exhausted all my ideas without any success, I gave up and decided to clean install win10. This time, installation kept giving me errors saying it can't write to 750. I couldn't even create a new partition.

I contacted intel support and sent my 750 today for warranty replacement. I believe there was something seriously wrong with 750. However, it was strange that SMART and Toolbox didn't warn anything earlier. Other than it was reporting 13% remaining life, it was reporting good health and there was no error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi Sitti,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I’ll check the SMART report attached, however could you please also download the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) from the following site and run the full report? This tool will collect your system details. Please export the output in a text file and share it in your response: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

A couple days ago windows all of sudden became unbootable. I spent nearly 10 hours trying absolutely everything from recovery features to command prompt and partition attempting to get Windows to boot again, but my PC just wouldn't detect 750 as bootable drive any more. After I exhausted all my ideas without any success, I gave up and decided to clean install win10. This time, installation kept giving me errors saying it can't write to 750. I couldn't even create a new partition.

I contacted intel support and sent my 750 today for warranty replacement. I believe there was something seriously wrong with 750. However, it was strange that SMART and Toolbox didn't warn anything earlier. Other than it was reporting 13% remaining life, it was reporting good health and there was no error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Sitti,

Thank you for the update.

Based on the SMART report, your drive as you mentioned was close to the 10% of remaining life. When the drive gets that point, it’s recommendable to replace it as it may fail just as it happened to you.

The interesting thing is that it actually happened after 2 years of usage. The SMART report also shows that the NAND Bytes Written is very high which points to an issue related to the Write Amplification of the drive.

It’s not clear why this happened to the drive, so I recommend you to keep your new drive up to date with the latest firmware version available and also to keep monitoring the drive’s status and SMART report using the Intel® SSD Toolbox.

If you have another issue with this new drive, feel free to open a new thread. We’ll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos