cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Image Recovery Reliability

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing my first SSD drive. I have done a little research in to it and it seems that Intel 320 have a good reputation for reliability. So as I like to use my PC rather then fiddle with it I figure an Intel 320 is the SSD for me. I shall use it as my OS drive and I general do not keep any data files on my OS drive just about 60gb of applications although I think this is going to grow to about 80gb soon.

So I was thinking that a 320 120gb would best suit my needs.

My question is to do with virus recovery;

What I basically do is to take an image of my OS drive every week and at the slight hint of a virus attack (about once a month) I recover my OS drive from the last image which means that I would write about 60gb of data to the drive about once a month.

Would this be a problem as far as reliability is concerned?

Many thanks

Imk

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The endurance specs are 20GB a day for 5 years. Intel specs are, it seems, a bit conservative. Here is a 40GB 320 drive with 314 Terabytes on it and it's still going strong. Bottom line; don't worry.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
at the slight hint of a virus attack (about once a month) I recover my OS drive from the last image

In all the years since I built my first computer in 1976 (an IMSAI 8080) I can count on two fingers the number of times I've had to deal with a "virus attack". And honestly I think it was only once!

I'd want to focus on what is causing the once-a-month corruption and fend those off completely. I haven't run any anti-virus software for many years, but recently I like COMODO Internet Security Premium (free av, firewall, and malware protection).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed, what are you doing in which you get suspicious activity once a month? You might want to consider sandboxing in a VM.

SSDs are more than able to handle an additional 700GB of writes a year in additional to the average daily 3-10GB.