cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Intel P4510 + AVAGO MegaRAID SAS 9460-16i make nvme RAID5 , the performance very poor.

springee1
New Contributor

Hi all:

on DELL R740xd server, use  AVAGO MegaRAID SAS 9460-16i  card and 3 Intel P4510 SSD make RAID5 or RAID0, the 4k write or read performace very poor, for randwrite the IOPS only 20k.

Could you please give me some advices ? how to improve the performance.

Thanks,

Regards

Spring

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello springee1,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the PNG images you provided us, we noticed the following:

1- You are using the RAID controller to test the drive's performance instead of using the SSD connected directly to the motherboard, and this could be the cause of the low performance you are noticing.

2- Since you are using a 3rd party hardware and software, we can not assure you that the performance will be the same as stated on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/122573/intel-ssd-dc-p4510-series-1-0tb-2-5in-pc...

Performance Specifications

Sequential Bandwidth - 100% Read (up to)

2850 MB/s

Sequential Bandwidth - 100% Write (up to)

1100 MB/s

Random Read (100% Span)

465000 IOPS

Random Write (100% Span)

70000 IOPS

*Please consider that this performance is by using our SSD with our latest firmware, connected directly to the motherboard (MB).

We recommend you remove the SSDs from the RAID array and to test them one by one. To try to discard that one of them is misbehaving by using the FIO* software.

3- We noticed that you are using different SSDs on this array configuration. We recommend you to try to use the same model of SSD with the same firmware.

4- We suggest you, contacting your OEM DELL* to check their recommendations regarding the BIOS settings, hardware arraignment, and RAID array setup.

We will follow up with you again next Monday, the 28th of December 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello springee1,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series. If we inferred correctly, please review and provide us with the following information:

1- Please contact your Motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) DELL* and the RAID controller manufacturer AVAGO* to get further assistance regarding your current RAID configuration.

Take into consideration that the OEM creates and modifies their solutions to fit their needs, and they have their list of compatible hardware and software that sometimes is different from our list. For example, there are cases that some of the systems need a specific BIOS or software configuration to be able to work with an OS, add-on hardware, or feature.

2- Provide us with the information or screenshots from the tool you are using to check the SSD performance.

3- We would appreciate it if you can provide us with the system details by extracting the SSU logs and the replication steps.

The SSU logs.

We will follow up with you again next Monday, the 28th of December 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Hi Josh B.

Thanks for your reply.

my step as follows:

1, create RAID0.

after Create RAID0,the disk path is scsi not nvme. use  lsscsi can see new disk /dev/sda

2, use fio run randwrite

[root@localhost temp]# fio --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --buffered=0 --norandommap --refill_buffers --stonewall --disable_slat=1 --disable_lat=1 --disable_bw=1 --randrepeat=0 --thread --unified_rw_reporting=1 -group_reporting --do_verify=0 -cpus_allowed_policy=split --cpus_allowed=all --percentage_random=100 --random_generator=tausworthe64 --name=test --size=100% --filename=/dev/sda --rw=randwrite --bs=4k --iodepth=256 --iodepth_batch=256 --iodepth_batch_complete_min=256 --numjobs=24 --output=4k_write_rand
Jobs: 24 (f=24): [w(24)][0.0%][r=198MiB/s,w=0KiB/s][r=50.7k,w=0 IOPS][eta 11d:04h:23m:13s]

we can see the IOPS only 50k, if I use 3 disks create RAID5 the IOPS only 20k.

Thanks,

Regards

Spring

Hello springee1,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the PNG images you provided us, we noticed the following:

1- You are using the RAID controller to test the drive's performance instead of using the SSD connected directly to the motherboard, and this could be the cause of the low performance you are noticing.

2- Since you are using a 3rd party hardware and software, we can not assure you that the performance will be the same as stated on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/122573/intel-ssd-dc-p4510-series-1-0tb-2-5in-pc...

Performance Specifications

Sequential Bandwidth - 100% Read (up to)

2850 MB/s

Sequential Bandwidth - 100% Write (up to)

1100 MB/s

Random Read (100% Span)

465000 IOPS

Random Write (100% Span)

70000 IOPS

*Please consider that this performance is by using our SSD with our latest firmware, connected directly to the motherboard (MB).

We recommend you remove the SSDs from the RAID array and to test them one by one. To try to discard that one of them is misbehaving by using the FIO* software.

3- We noticed that you are using different SSDs on this array configuration. We recommend you to try to use the same model of SSD with the same firmware.

4- We suggest you, contacting your OEM DELL* to check their recommendations regarding the BIOS settings, hardware arraignment, and RAID array setup.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Hi,Josh B.

Thanks for your reply .

Maybe I will try to contact Broadcom, get RAID array setup help .

Thanks,

Regards

Spring