cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Optimized for WIN 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In Short, for Windows 7 you only need AHCI on in the BIOS. Pretty much everything is optimized right out of the box. The only thing I definitely would do is the Temp files moved to a faster write (Disk Drive Old School) The old school disk drives beat Intel's write speed however it's the READ speed that's most important to all Windows users not the Write. Write speed are important for Database base transactions or SQL, otherwise 99% of you will be happy with fast read speed and reliability w/o headaches that other known startup companies have.

If you want relibility stick with Intel. Hopes this helps. As always these speeds will go faster over time. Now I must go play Atari pong.

PS always make an image copy before any changes. Hope this helps anyone before you start tinkering wasting time. Also the Intel software is not needed so don't bother with win 7.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What are you using to subjectively monitor performance?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DuckieHo,

I used hIOmon. You can see the output of what I have monitored over at Xtreme Systems. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260956 http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260956

Later today I will be monitoring activity on the page file and will post the results on Xtreme when available. Unlike benchmarks hIOmon can tell me what is best for my particular usage, although what might be right for me may not be right for someone else.

What has really impressed me is how well engineered the X25-M's are for desktop usage patterns. In that context there were well ahead of their time and even now they continue to provide leading edge performance......where it actually matters.

I can't wait for the G3's. I suspect they will be even more tuned to desktop performance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good info!

When you post your results, would you mind describing your usage pattern and applications as well?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi mikecaldera

Using a test file of 1,000MB is not necessary if you are using an onboard controller without cache. The only reason to test with larger file sizes is if you want to test the hard drive and not the cache.

With no cache a large test file only wears the drive out quicker.

Nice result though