Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

SSD Optimizer Error in Windows 7 x64 Latest Firmware/Software

I updated the firmware on my 160gig x25-m G2 drive to the latest. I then installed windows 7 x 64 from scratch on an intel DP55kg motherboard.

When I run the toolkit 1.2 and scan the drive everything is OK. When I go to the tools to optimize the drive it gives me "Intel SSD Optimizer Error" with no other explanation.

I have tried chaning the ACHI drivers from Intels to Windows but that did not fix the issue. I have also turned off the scheduled defrag (which you should always do for SSD drives) and I turned off windows restore. It still does not fix the issue.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

If you are using the default msahci driver in AHCI mode, you do not have to run the Optimizer, the TRIM function is automatic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The error happens with both the Windows and the Intel drivers. If you are using the windows drivers (which turns on TRIM) people have still found that running the toolkit works and makes a difference. So this still is an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have run benchmark tests both ways, using optimizer and not using optimizer--no difference for me. You do not have to run optimizer with AHCI mode and msahci driver in Windows 7.

Try reinstalling Toolbox. Do you have the latest firmware, 2CV102HD?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes I have the latest firmware. I just reinstalled the toolbox, but still the same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Check that the drive is connected to one of the chipset SATA ports. Looks like these are supposed to be colored black on your board. According to some, connecting to port 0 or 1 may be preferable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The drive is in SATA port 0.

Does Intel have a debug option or dump file for it's toolkit so you can figure out what is causing it to give an error?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

SSD Toolbox has an Export button option to export log files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The export option creates a CSV file with the drive's information. It does not contain any errors from the management tool.

Of interest I find that when I go to run the management tool for my drive it gets to 7% before it gives me the dreaded Intel SSD Optimizer Error

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I had very similar problem:

SSD: 80GB x25-m with the latest 02HD firmware

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

SSD connected to channel 0 SATA port

SATA running in AHCI mode using msahci.sys

When I ran Intel SSD Optimizer, it immediately failed with "Intel SSD Optimizer Error" message.

Solution:

I've found that the problem was caused by TrueCrypt (using the latest version 6.3a). I don't have any part of SSD encrypted, but I had mounted 1TB encrypted partition. After I dismounted this encrypted drive and shut down TrueCrypt completely, SSD Optimizer started working like a charm (I know that it is not necessary to use SSD Toolbox to trim the drive when using msahci.sys, but I wanted to try it).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you. You solved my problem. I am using PGP to create an encrypted drive which resides as a file on the SSD. Once I removed PGP everything worked.

Highlighted
Community Manager

You're welcome! I'm glad that this helped.

It seems that the Toolbox has problems running with other mounted virtual drives...

Highlighted
Community Manager

I am experiencing the same error as the OP. I'm running W7-64, my drive's firmware has been upgraded (ver 2CV102HD), it's configured as AHCI device on SATA Port 0 on an EVGA X58 motherboard.

My write performance has started to slip, so I installed the latest version of the Optimizer (twice). Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error.

I've removed all other hard drives and exited from any applications that I think might look like a mount point (Logmein, WHS Connector, Windows Live Sync).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

*** UPDATE ***

After totally removing MS Office 2010 Beta (Click and Run version) the optimizer works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

is that so. it's hard to believe the ms office application can come in conflict with optimizer. have u tried other ms office versions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

If you use the msahci.sys driver, you don't need to run the optimizer, assuming you are not doing RAID.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

@ichun: I'm successfully running Office 2007 Pro with no problems. I intend to install Office 2010 Beta using the standard installation process. I think the virtualization software built into the 'Click to Run' software is causing the problem. It would be interesting to find out if anyone else using products based the former 'Softricity' platform experience similar problems.

@ambizytl: I know I shouldn't need to use the optimizer. Now that I've removed the virtualized Office 2010 product, I plan to monitor performance (without using the optimizer). If performance doesn't degrade, I don't plan on using the optimizer again. I will update this forum with my thoughts...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi

I have the same issue as the original poster, and i can't get the SSD Optimizer to work. When i click the "run" button the whole bar turns red and the status changes to "failed" and Recommended Action changes to "Intel SSD Optimizer error".

I've disabled defrag, turned on ACHI, i have no virtual drives, no encrypted areas, the firmware is 02HA and i've tried with both version 1.2 and 1.3 of the SSD Toolbox.

And i can run the diagnostic scans in the toolbox without any errors.

Any more tips and tricks for that issue except the ones that have been discussed so far?

-----------------------------

Gigabyte X58A-UD7

I7 930

160gb x-25-m G2

Win7 Ultimate x64

-----------------------------

0 Kudos